Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sambora Strat PUPS ?

Hey guys

What did fender put in the neck and the middle of the Sambora Strats?
    Where they any good?

Thanks

Lou
    His Grace is Amazing

Re: Sambora Strat PUPS ?

Originally posted by sweet_lou
    Hey guys

What did fender put in the neck and the middle of the Sambora Strats?
    Where they any good?

Thanks

Lou
    Which one? the S/S/S, or the S/S/H or the MIM model without the active preamp?
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
      Which one? the S/S/S, or the S/S/H or the MIM model without the active preamp?
      S/S/H I just bought a loaded pickguard from one It has the DiMarizio HB and two singles and a 5way switch

Thanks

Lou
      His Grace is Amazing

Comment

S/S/H I just bought a loaded pickguard from one It has the DiMarizio HB and two singles and a 5way switch

Thanks

Lou
        Pretty sure they were Texas Specials.
        Playing:
        Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
        Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
        Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
        Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Thanks

Lou
          Okay, can of worms coming up ... Is it a MIM or MIA ... reason both have the DMZ O.E.M. HB in the bridge, both list it as Fender part # 0038940000 (the DMZ code ((I guess it's their code)) is FHWH8WL ... The MIA has an active midboost circuit with a push/push button switch between the two *tone* knobs, the MIM is a passive system and is set-up like a regular Strat in regard to the first tone being neck, and the second being middle ... and none on bridge. The MIM shows a 500k-A pot for volume, and both tones as being 250k-A, and following the same convention of no tone for bridge alone; However the MIA with active midboost shows 250k pots for volume and tones (although the taper of the midboost control is a bit more linear).
          The pups are listed in the MIA active as being Texas Special neck, and Texas Special middle; on the MIM they are listed as being Duo-Sonic neck, and Duo-Sonic middle , the same HB is listed for both models.
          As an aside note, the control layout shows the HB split in the #2 position ... the schematics off gear head, and what I received from Fender show the series link taped off ... so the schematic is in error as if it's wired that way the HB won't split in the #2 position (which should be middle and inner coil of HB).
          I guess after all of this ... Maybe I should get around to answering your real question? If your axe has TEX SPCLs then they are nice pups (Lew or StratDeluxer ((would you please get a shorter screen name John S.)) would have the comparative run down on those ... If you have the Duo-Sonics though ... again seek the advice of other mentioned afore, but that being said the D-S's are very highly regarded, and well worth having as they are a bit different from the normal Strat pups.

Comment

WOW thanks Kent. No mid boost so I guess it's the MIM with the DS. That sounds interesting. I am looking foward to hearing them. I Have been looking for something to put them in.
            How are the DS differant?
            His Grace is Amazing

Comment

WOW thanks Kent. No mid boost so I guess it's the MIM with the DS. That sounds interesting. I am looking foward to hearing them. I Have been looking for something to put them in.
              How are the DS differant?
              I'm not really sure Lou, I'm not sure if they are fuller sounding or brighter sounding with more a bit more output than the typical strat pups ... You'd really have to ask Lew about that. I just know that they are looked upon well. I can't tell you more than that though, PM Lew, he's used them and can give you the comparison on them.

Comment

The MIA version with humbucker is the oldest model.... discontinued. The newer model has 3 hot ceramic noiseless w/mid boost. Kent you're probably refering to the old USA model with HB right ?
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
                  The MIA version with humbucker is the oldest model.... discontinued. The newer model has 3 hot ceramic noiseless w/mid boost. Kent you're probably refering to the old USA model with HB right ?
                  That's the one(s) that Lou is reffering to, believe me I've had to have Fender send me the older schematics because the ones on Gearhead didn't show the premap, DPPT wiring, and other connections ... You are referring to the one with the 1.5H inductor and 270k (the pdf says 250k, but the part list shows 270k) resistor hooked to the bridge noiseless pup, also that one has a iMeg tone pot, and a .01uF cap in series with a 10k resistor as a HPF across the CW and wiper lugs on the volume pot.The volume pot is a 500k-A ,the midboost pot is a 250k 30% taper pot. But there was a MIM version that didn't have the active that had a HB in the bridge ... they pups were different between the two (MIA and MIM).

Comment

Working...
                  X