banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Humbuckers would get me close to this sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Humbuckers would get me close to this sound?

Which humbuckers would get me close to this sound? Here is a link to one of the queen songs called gimme the prize. All you have to do is click on the song.

Rudy D.
    Last edited by rudygeorge; 08-07-2004, 12:51 AM.

Re: Which Humbuckers would get me close to this sound?

What type of guitar is this going into? For Brian May type tones a JB works well. At least in one of my guitars that's mahogany. When split it nails that tone in "Tie Your Mother Down". Something else that you may want to try is the Jazz. It's a bit brighter which would be good for that Brian May sound.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter
      What type of guitar is this going into? For Brian May type tones a JB works well. At least in one of my guitars that's mahogany. When split it nails that tone in "Tie Your Mother Down". Something else that you may want to try is the Jazz. It's a bit brighter which would be good for that Brian May sound.
      Thanks Scooter. It is going into a strat. Would a 59 or a jazz be a good choice in the neck?

Rudy D.
      Last edited by rudygeorge; 08-07-2004, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Anybody?

Rudy D.

Comment

So I understood you have a double fat strat...

You probabely know that most of the Brian May tones comes from using the bridge and middle Burns Tisonic of his Red Special in series and out of phase. This kind of combination can be done with normal humbuckers if both buckers have 4-conector wiring. But probabely the tone will be very different since the Trisonics are "classic" single coils (more similar to strats and teles than humbuckers) and not buckers. You can consider ussing two Stag Mag humbuckers (SH-3). They are buckers made with two strat single coils. Then you can wire one of the coils of bridge humbucker in series and out of phase with one of the coils of the neck bucker to obtain Brian's combination. I would also use a push/pull pot or a mini swicht to have more options from this pickups and don't stick your guitar to this combination.

I case this sounds too messy (I think It does) I think a set of 59's could be a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
            So I understood you have a double fat strat...

You probabely know that most of the Brian May tones comes from using the bridge and middle Burns Tisonic of his Red Special in series and out of phase. This kind of combination can be done with normal humbuckers if both buckers have 4-conector wiring. But probabely the tone will be very different since the Trisonics are "classic" single coils (more similar to strats and teles than humbuckers) and not buckers. You can consider ussing two Stag Mag humbuckers (SH-3). They are buckers made with two strat single coils. Then you can wire one of the coils of bridge humbucker in series and out of phase with one of the coils of the neck bucker to obtain Brian's combination. I would also use a push/pull pot or a mini swicht to have more options from this pickups and don't stick your guitar to this combination.

I case this sounds too messy (I think It does) I think a set of 59's could be a good choice.
            Thanks. Actually I have a strat with S/S/S configuration that I want to turn it into a H/S/S strat. I was considering a l'il 59 for the neck but wouldn't it sound too bassy in a strat? I am considering either Cool rails for the neck and middle because they warmer.

Rudy D.
            Last edited by rudygeorge; 08-09-2004, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X