Nickel Cover Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel Cover Question

Hi, I recently bought a new Epiphone LP Standard Plus from a local music store. It's heritage cherry sunburst w/ chrome hardware and nickel covers. I'd really like to swap the pickups with SDs but I definitely want to keep the nickel covers because I love the way it looks.

My first plan was to buy some pre-covered SDs, perhaps the JB/Jazz combo. However, I currently have a full Geogre Lynch Screamin' Demon in my MIM Strat and I'm thinking that I want to go back to some "real" strat tone and put some Texas Specials in it. Which leaves me with a Screamin' Demon with no home. So, I thought maybe I could slap a cover on it and put it in the bridge of my new LP? But I have no experience with that and I don't know how difficult/easy it is.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do, or if you think I shouldn't bother covering the Demon? Any thoughts welcome.
    -2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
    -Epiphone LP Std+ Heritage Cherry Sunburst (Jazz Neck/Custom Bridge both zebra)
    -2002 Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster (stock neck, duncan a2p mid, dimarzio blue velvet bridge)
    -1976 Electra LP Copy (PG+ neck/Demon Bridge)
    -Marshall AVT50
    ---------------------------------------------------
    PUPs:
    Duncan: 59, Custom, JB, PG, PG+, Distortion, Demon, Jazz, Invader, Alnico 2 Pro(sng), Hot Rails, Lil 59, Phat Cat
    Dimarzio: Super Distortion, Blue Velvet

Oh yeah, and I do plan to eventually swap out both pickups so any ideas on what I should choose would be welcome as well. I play Rock, Blues, and some Punk. I'd like a neck pup that isn't too muddy and can do clean well and I'd like a bridge pup that would be great for soloing and choppy distortion. But I'm open to anything, I mean, you guys are the experts.

The only SDs I have experience with are: George Lynch Screamin' Demon, JB, Invader, and Distortion. I like the JB a lot. Maybe that'd be the best choice for Bridge? However I was reading a few other posts and a set of Pearly Gates intrigues me. Bah, I dunno. Help!
    -2002 Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster (stock neck, duncan a2p mid, dimarzio blue velvet bridge)
    -Marshall AVT50
    PUPs:
    Duncan: 59, Custom, JB, PG, PG+, Distortion, Demon, Jazz, Invader, Alnico 2 Pro(sng), Hot Rails, Lil 59, Phat Cat

Comment

Aftermarket chrome or nickel covers don't always line up properly with Duncans. Plus, you'd have to wax pot them, in order to use them for highgain.

My advise? The Custom 5, in my opinion, is the best sounding humbucker you can put in a LP. Many other Paul players are swapping JB's for C-5's. For neck, the 59 is the industry standard, but you may really love the Jazz neck as well.
      I'd contact forum members Lew or Blackrose, and order a
      nickel covered Custom 5 bridge and 59 or Jazz neck.

You can either save the Screamin Demon, or sell it in the trader section, to help finance the new pickups.

As for the strat. Look in the Duncan Tone Guide to help you find a set that fits your music style. The C-5/59 is killer for all music styles, so trust me on that one.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks a lot! I've been reading some other posts and it seems that the C-5/59 is a highly recommended combo. Sounds good to me, can't wait to get them in my LP! I'll let you know what I think when I get them!
        -Marshall AVT50
        PUPs:

Comment

Working...
        X