A Question for you Duncan Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Question for you Duncan Fans

Just my band mates. We are all die hard Gibson fans, but some of the pups (490,498t and 500t's) just suck. Not enough tone or too much output. Duncans fill in the grey areas with massive mojo.

Comment

I recommend Duncans up and down. I can't help it... they have better customer service, quality and price than any other company I've come across.

The question should read "How many people do you steer away from the cold, shrill, screechy tone of EMGs?"

THAT would be bandwagon I'd jump on!
      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I am a guitar instructor, so in all honesty I mostly turn students onto the idea of pickup replacement as a concept. Sometimes I'll recommend a Duncan, sometimes a DiMarzio, it all depends on the student, their taste, their guitar and what they want to change about the sound.

But I should get a commisssion from both companies.......

PS: I have NEVER recomended an EMG.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I've turned 3-5 ppl on to duncans, and the idea of pup changing and guitar modding in general.

4 ppl i have jammed or played with for a good amounbt of time have asked me what brand my gutiar is, than why doesn;t the one at the shop sound like it. I than give away my secret, and in all cases offered to install pups for them for free. So far i equipped a friends strat with a vintage staggered set, an epi sg w/ a jazz/jb, and epi paul w/ a 59/jb, and anohter paul style guitar with a 59/C-5. In all cases my friends thanked me for it, and i think one of them has equipped anohter of his guitars with duncacns. at least i opened them up to pup changing as a way of changing sound..

my 1 guitar is duncan loaded, and any other i get wil be too
          Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
          Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
          Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
          Crate VC-3112
          Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
          Fender Bassman 60

Comment

The closest I can come, is to be one of the folks that some of you turned on to Duncan's.

Comment

I have received several emails and PMs from people who have bought Duncans, due to one or more of the 80-90 clips that I have posted over the last year

Most of these responses pertained to:
              DD
              C5
              Seth Lover neck and bridge
              Custom Shop Deco-2 10k
              Custom Shop Diablo
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

2 in 2

I build a little59 two weeks ago in my Tele! I don´t tell everybody about how i make my sound, but the two people who asked, bought duncans straight away!!! Really! There is nothing better out there! It is my first Duncan pup, but i´m really impressed!!! By the way, thanks for the help here in the forum!
                Bye, bye!

Comment

Duncan makes the most cinsistent replacement pups out there. I have had many discussions regarding different pup's, many names come up. I will usually discourage anyone from changing "stock" pup's if I can, but if you are going to change go to Duncans they offer such a wide range of pup's to cover virtually any sound you are looking for! I have a Jazz and a 59 in my custom Tele. Every other guitar I have is "stock"
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've recently made the switch from EMGs, and I agonized for months over which PUs to go with. I came within a pube of buying Bill Lawrence, but I read some things I didn't like about the company itself. I read a lot of reviews on Harmony Central and ended up buying a Pearly Gates Trembucker and a Duckbucker for my custom Musicman Silhouette. Got them from Black Rose Customs, who were totally cool and very polite at answering my questions.

I just downloaded the schematic for a five-way switch and will install the PUs this weekend. I'll post a review on Harmony Central when I've given them a thorough thrashing.

--Al

Comment

Ive recommended a couple of friends who had stock pickups to get specific Duncans, my smelly, scruffy, blues playing friend has an old Ibanez artist that is real nice but with his little amp it lacked some real "kick", i put in a JB and A2P for him and now his sound just kills and he says he owes me for life!

And i always get TONS of satisfaction when some guy with a Super Distortion or some other super hot pickup comes out with his Crate or Mesa or 5150's gain cranked and his mids scooped and C# dropped tuning and .13 strings, only for me to come out with a Les Paul loaded with Antiquities and whatever amp i have at the time and put his little, squashed, buzzing pile of sh*t sound to shame! They all just scratch there head and ask after the show "How is your sound so big?", "Do you tune to B or something" (I tune to standard or Eb and occasionally dropped D by the way). Some of them are down right pissed when i tell them. A lot of it is obviously just knowing that extreme settings are rarely truly means of getting a huge sound, but i owe just as much to using low output Duncans, they just sound...bigger...
                      EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
                        I am a guitar instructor, so in all honesty I mostly turn students onto the idea of pickup replacement as a concept. Sometimes I'll recommend a Duncan, sometimes a DiMarzio, it all depends on the student, their taste, their guitar and what they want to change about the sound.

But I should get a commisssion from both companies.......

PS: I have NEVER recomended an EMG.
                        You know, it may seem like herecy around here, but for some reason i think EMG 81's are actually really cool! I was very suprised. They seem to be far more dynamic and less squashed than other pickups that are that hot are. I mean, they have really aggressive and sharp sound, but somehow really sing and sound musical. As far as im concerned 81's are it as far as super hot pickups go...
                        EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

I didn't have to tell my friends that I had installed '59s in my Les Paul. When I fired off some riffs everyone was like, "Dude, what did you do to change your sound?!?" When I told them about the SD pups they all wanted to check out the SD website and get thier Tone chart analysis.
                          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

hell, i go through EMGs most of the time when i play live, theyre quiet, well behaved and sound fine to my ears. that said, i dont complain when i try and play jazz with a hot bridge bucker and it starts distorting *grins* i love the 'loop' feedback it gets as well, sounds really nice. i do understand where people are coming from when they say 'clinical' though.

IMO the 81 is very expressive if you're looking for a more aggressive sound. the 89, 85, 60 and SA aren't nearly as hot, but share the feedback-resistance and noiselessness the 81 has.

Comment

Working...
                            X