Have new pots, which cap to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have new pots, which cap to use?

I just put CTS 500K Audio pots in my SG. I don't think the pots and caps that came in this guitar were originals, real bad solder job, can't even see the #'s on the backs of them. I have two diffrent caps on the old pots. One side has a ceramic square green cap thats reads, .02M 50V. The other one is a ceramic round orange cap thats reads, .02 50V. I would like to get new caps, are these the right ones to buy and put back in, .02? I checked out caps on-line, and the one's Gibson calls for are either .047, .02MFD, or .022. Can anyone help me out on which ones I should use?

Re: Have new pots, which cap to use?

Originally posted by mark129
    I just put CTS 500K Audio pots in my SG. I don't think the pots and caps that came in this guitar were originals, real bad solder job, can't even see the #'s on the backs of them. I have two diffrent caps on the old pots. One side has a ceramic square green cap thats reads, .02M 50V. The other one is a ceramic round orange cap thats reads, .02 50V. I would like to get new caps, are these the right ones to buy and put back in, .02? I checked out caps on-line, and the one's Gibson calls for are either .047, .02MFD, or .022. Can anyone help me out on which ones I should use?
    Hello Mark....I Like using a .015 or .022 mfd cap on my SG and Les Paul guitars...I use either the CDE,Vishay Orange Drops,or Xicon PolyFilm caps....Get yourself the following values from www.mouser.com and experiment....100 volt value is what I use...

.01 .015 .02 or .022 .033 .047 Most common though is the .02 or .022 value these days...The bigger the cap,the more highs you shunt to ground as you turn your tone pot towards 0...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
    X