Splitting a '59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting a '59

Is it possible to split a '59? It seems like it's doable but it doesn't look like it has enough wires...

My idea is to have my neck and bridge pickups with a three-way switch, and a push-pull switch to split 'em on the volume knob...schematics? ideas? thanks guys.

-X
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Splitting a '59

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    Is it possible to split a '59? It seems like it's doable but it doesn't look like it has enough wires...

My idea is to have my neck and bridge pickups with a three-way switch, and a push-pull switch to split 'em on the volume knob...schematics? ideas? thanks guys.

-X
    You needed a 4 conductor to do that buddy boy!

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Can't do it unless it's made as a 4 conductor. I've got one in my Washburn. It's a very nice sounding pickup, but to be honest, I can't tell much tonal difference between the full vs the tapped position. There's not a lot of output to play with.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I had a set of 59s in a LP that were splittable and they sounded great that way, especially combined.

As said above, you need to get 59s with 4 conductor wiring.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

-X
          Xander...Didn't you see in my sale of your 59 that I stated it was a 2 conductor? Or did you recently decide on the split 4 conductor model? I feel bad that you bought my 2 conductor and you really needed a 4 conductor...Maybe you should send me the 2 conductor back and get what you need my friend?

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

As always, very cool gesture John!!!

X, I recently bought a Big Apple Strat which splits a '59 neck. It's nice, but I'm not sure it has enough.....ooomph. Kinda' sterile split/great as a 'bucker though!!!

I'm gonna play around with it a bit & if I don't like it, I'll get back to ya' if ya' want it. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Pearly Gates that I have, but haven't decided.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
              As always, very cool gesture John!!!

X, I recently bought a Big Apple Strat which splits a '59 neck. It's nice, but I'm not sure it has enough.....ooomph. Kinda' sterile split/great as a 'bucker though!!!

I'm gonna play around with it a bit & if I don't like it, I'll get back to ya' if ya' want it. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Pearly Gates that I have, but haven't decided.
              Just my opinion,but I find that I don't like the split tones from a humbucker unless the series resistance is at least 10k or above...That's why I Like the 11k Hybrid or a CC or C5 if I'm going to split..The CC is great because it gives you around a 7k split,plus it's warmer and softer in a strat,but might be a bit dark in a LP...Has great clean tones and great sustain and harmonics..It's only downfall for me,is the mids..

John

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                ...Maybe you should send me the 2 conductor back and get what you need my friend?

John
                I always knew you were a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  I always knew you were a class act.
                  Well....I'd hate to see the guy behind the 8 ball ya know? I can either keep that 59 or resell it to someone else on the forums....It's really not a big deal and yes,I try to treat people right,ALWAYS!

John

Comment

Stratdeluxer, your are a great man!!!
                    Watch My Videos
                    Photography
                    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Just my opinion,but I find that I don't like the split tones from a humbucker unless the series resistance is at least 10k or above...That's why I Like the 11k Hybrid or a CC or C5 if I'm going to split..The CC is great because it gives you around a 7k split,plus it's warmer and softer in a strat,but might be a bit dark in a LP...Has great clean tones and great sustain and harmonics..It's only downfall for me,is the mids..

John

John, with that said, what do you think if I moved the Pearly Gates bridge to the neck slot & put a C5 in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                        John, with that said, what do you think if I moved the Pearly Gates bridge to the neck slot & put a C5 in the bridge?
                        The PGN is a great pickup..You could try the PGB at the neck spot,but it might be pretty overpowering up there? The C5 is a great pickup also..

John

Comment

Aww thanks for the offer, John, but it was a spur-of-the-moment thing...I'm probably gonna end up usin this Strat for my 'bucker tones and the other one for my singles.

-X
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The PGN is a great pickup..You could try the PGB at the neck spot,but it might be pretty overpowering up there? The C5 is a great pickup also..

John

Yeah, I thought so.....I was playing it yesterday for a few hours & actually, it's not too far off. I think I'll try the PGn/PG+ combo....that should fit nicely!

Oh & X....sorry for the semi-hijack!
                            Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 08-10-2004, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Aww thanks for the offer, John, but it was a spur-of-the-moment thing...I'm probably gonna end up usin this Strat for my 'bucker tones and the other one for my singles.

-X
                              Ok buddy....Just thought I'd throw that out there...I'm here if you need my help with your pickup..

Comment

Working...
                              X