banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a stag mag actually sound like a strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a stag mag actually sound like a strat?

I want to achieve a real clean stratty sound out of my Tremelo version PRS santana se guitar using the stagmag, I am after a red hot chilli peppers sort of sound. For the neck position, what does the stag mag sound like by itself? What about split? and how do you need to do to get that strat sound from the humbucker. Im not planning on buying a strat.

What does the pickup sound like under distortion. Will it do good funky clean rythms?
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Does a stag mag actually sound like a strat?

I had a pair of Stag Mags in my Patriot for awhile, then I replaced the neck SM with a 59. When I had both in there, I had switches so that I could select any combination of north/south - neck/bridge. The difference between any setting was subtle. Not only that, but th SM seems to be very sensitive to amp settings. It'll sound dull and lifeless with one setting, and you'll hate it. Then you hit the right setting, and love it.

Its a touchy pickup . . . kinda like a redhead. You gotta caress it just right.

Oh yeah, and as far as "under distortion" goes - if I turned on any kind of fuzz or overdrive, there was no difference in how the pup sounded in any switch position. I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but to me, its subtle tonal characteristics came in its "clean" mode.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-08-2004, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Re: Does a stag mag actually sound like a strat?

anyone else
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
      X