This is it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is it.

Mmmkay. This will be the LAST time I ask this. What pickup would all of you guitar experts, toneologists and axe wizzes choose for heavy metal? I dont want a sh*t-load of bass, the least amount possible. I want mids, mids and MORE mids! I want it to scream, I want it to sound almost like I'm doing a pinch harmonic on the higher frets on the higher strings even when I'm not. I dont know if that means I want a pup with alot of harmonics, but I want it to scream bloody murder. I want it to be full (but like i said, NOT bassy as sh*t). And just so all of you know, I DO NOT care about cleans. That's what my neck position will be for. I DONT CARE ABOUT THEM IN THE BRIDGE. I will be using this for nothing but heavy metal (Slayer, Converge), so I dont need it to be versitle enough to use for classic rock or anything like that.

What'll it be???

Super D, Duncan Distortion, X2N, Super 3, 81, Custom, Custom 5, Dropsonic??? Help me out here guys.
    Last edited by Sweet Leaf_Sabbath; 08-08-2004, 07:20 PM.
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Re: This is it.

oh, and I'll be putting this pup in a Jackson DK2 Dinky. Alder body, Floyd Rose.

give me your opinions on all the hb's i listed and what you guys think would do the job best
    Last edited by Sweet Leaf_Sabbath; 08-08-2004, 07:21 PM. Reason: forgot something.
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

I'm no expert in metal intended pick-ups but a super-distortion might do what you ask...

Comment

Looking at ur user name, I'm kinda wondering why u wudn't be happy with the Gibson Tony Iommi Signature pickup... for "classic metal" anyhow. Sorry I'mnot familiar with newer metal bands. But I loved that pup. Cheers.

Comment

Dimebucker, Super D, or DD. I'd choose the Dime for what you're talking about personally. Lots of mids, lots of highs, lower, although not too low, on the bass. Very high output.

Comment

DiMarzio X2N maybe? Pretty raw and harmonics out the ying yang...

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Super Distortion.

The only thing I can think of that'd be better for what you want is an EMG-81.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

IF I was YOU, I would ask OUR brother's at the Jackson/Charvel forum, since TONS of them have DK2's just like you, and they definately can offer great suggestions on YOUR needs:

I'm a Jackson guy by the way...

Comment

Mids = Dimarzio Super 3

This is very similar to a Super Distortion but with more mids and less bass but very agressive with the ceramic mag it uses. I find it to be very full and tight. Dimarzio makes a slew of other pickups heavy on the mids but they aren't quite as agressive as they use A5 mags. I liked the Super 3 for Slayer type stuff though....I was able to pull off damn good Reign In Blood type tone along with my Peavey XXX....w/ EL34's of course

Comment

super 3 or evolution or norton

Comment

my vote is for the dimebucker.

Comment

Make it 3 for the Dimebucker.
                        Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

I would also vote for the DiMarzio Super 3, great sounding pickup for what you are asking. I have one in an old Fender HM Strat right now, very full mids, dark but full treble and still has lots of harmonics (not sure how it does that), and very tight bass.

If you want a Duncan, the Distortion or the Dimebucker are probably the best choices unless you want to go active with Live Wires.

Roger

Comment

I'll tell you from my poor exp...I've tried SDs, DiMarzios & EMGs and I was impressed by two pups: JB and Evo. JB is so versatile and Evo is so pretentios.
                            Anyway u are interested in EMG-81 - battery slave

Best luck.
                            M

Comment

Does the Dimebucker have a lot of mids like this guy is asking for?? The one I heard sounded fairly scooped.....

Comment

Working...
                              X