JB vs Airzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs Airzone

I have a JB that soynds very bright, very compressed, and very highoutput in my guitar. I'm looking for something with the nice tight bass sound and responsiveness, but with a mellower overall tone and a little less output. Is the Airzone what I'm looking for?
    Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
    Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
    Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
    http://emayhem.com/the_fords
    (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Maybe zou wanna check out the JB with 250k pots?
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

I have used both pickups in the same guitar.
      The AZ has got a little less output and sounds a little less compressed, but only a little. It probably compares with the SD CC and C5 in output terms, if you are familiar with them. It is less bright than the JB.
      While both pickups are mid-heavy, the Air Zones mids are concentrated in the lower end, giving the sound more body, and the JBs mids are concentrated in the higher end, making it slightly harsh (to my ears!).
      If you are looking for something much lower in output then the AZ isnt your answer, but it is less bright and has more low end/ body if that is what you are after.
      An alternative if you want less output is the Air Norton. This still has a good amount of fairly tight bass, is probably a little more responsive, it is not nearly as compressed sounding (doesnt distort as easily) as the JB and AZ, but it is brighter than the AZ.
      Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
      Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
      Fender American Series Telecaster
      Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
      Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
      Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

I'm torn between replacing the 500k pots and ripping it out altogether. I did a test where I bridged my guitar input cable with a resistor to simulate switching out the pot, and I do admit that it sounded much more pleasing to my ears.

As far as the compression goes, perhaps the pickups are too close to the strings. I found that when I turned the volume down, I noticed nearly no change in volume until they were just about off, when it dropped abruptly.

However, even before I raised the pickups towards the strings I found that the JB/Jazz combo was a very high-output and compressed combination so that leads me to think that I should swap them altogether...

Arrgh! There are too many factors to consider! I didn't realize it was going to take this much tweaking to get the sound and feel I wanted...
        Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
        Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
        Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
        http://emayhem.com/the_fords
        (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

Ahh nice trick to bridge the input. If you use a 500k resistor it have to be nearly the same effect (with volume on 10) if you use a 250 k volume pot.
          Never thought about this.

I don't find the JB that compressed. But If you want it with less compression you may be like to mod the jb as a airbucker. For some pu recommendation you have to wait for other responses
          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
          TS 7 (modded)
          Hot Rod 50+ XL
          Framus Dragon 4x12
          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Very funny that you mention the Air Zone & JB in the same thought. I have always thought they are very similar. The Air Zone is DiMarzio's best kept secret.

Both are voiced in the mids. The Air Zone has a bit less treble and a bit less "snarl". It also has a bit more bass & lower mids. The Air Zone is a TINY bit clearer and less distorted. But not much.

Despite these nit picky comparasins, to my ears, they are VERY similar pickups. If someone absolutely hated one I would say they would hate the other one as well.

If some one were looking to warm up a thin bridge slot then either pickup is a great choice. If you want slightly warmer and clearer, go Air Zone. If you want slightly ballsier and raspy, the JB can't be beat.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
            buggjuice.net
            MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X