X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed CC to a C5!!!! niice....

hey guys

how are we all

well, i just thought id update u on my pickup endevours for my Gibson flying V

didnt like the 500t, so i put in a custom custom

i loved the highs - so nice and sweet, but i found the mids were too overpowering - maybe coz i use a mid heavy amp (MB mark3)?
    the lows- they just werent tight enough

sooo, i thought i should give it a change
    luckily enough i had an alnico 5 magnet lying around

so i did the swap

it REALLY sound good now - very happy with the results - the bass has come up and become nice and tightish and the mids suit me fine

only one thing tho - i wish the highs were a bit lower - dont get me wrong, it aint too bad, but its just a bit much for me

do u think if i put in a ceramic bar (ie custom) it could help me? or am i just being a ***** and be happy with the great results ive got

what have ur experiences been between the custom and the custom 5?

thanks

Ishan
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: Changed CC to a C5!!!! niice....

The Custom will have more mids and an even more agressive top end, but the mids help to balance that. The Custom is somewhat simular to the PRS HFS so you can guage what you might get from the Custom.

I play on a LP with a C-5 through Mesa gear and I get regular compliments on my tone. Try backing off your presence just a touch, I think you'll like what you get.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

You could also try an A3 mag in that....might give you the best of all worlds. I haven't tried it personally, but many have with great results.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

From your post, I don't think the Custom would work for you, but I could be wrong

I really like the C5. I liked it even more when I did this:
        Put the adjustable poles on the bridge side
        Raise the poles, sort of like following the radius of the fret board
        Raise the pickup so the 2 center poles (for strings D and G) are as high as they can go without hitting the strings.

That seemed to make it a little more agressive with the mids, but keeping the original smoothness of the highs and thickness of the lows.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

That's not what the terms "mids, highs, or lows" refers to, though.

You're talking about the tone of each individual string, and creating a more uniform sound across all 6 strings. The middle strings aren't "mids". They are simply the middle strings.

Anyway.......

I think another magnet change probably isn't required, but if it is, he could go with A4, and probably be quite satisfied.

For all of the whackiness I've seen on this site, I have to say, I've only seen one guy use a split A2/A5 magnet combo in his pickup within a rock context. I believe he split each bar in half, and then glued the remaining halves back together. Makes sense.

So many times I've read someone make the remark about the CC having the perfect highs, but mushy bottom end, and the C5 having a tight bottom, but still too much "shine" on the high strings.

Why not minimize the difference, and go with an A4 on the bottom strings, and an A3 on the top? I can understand someone thinking the drift between an A5 and an A2 is too great.

Why not go with a combo that's closer? Even going A5/A3 should be more uniform than A5/A2.

Sorry.....off-topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic
            The middle strings aren't "mids". They are simply the middle strings.
            Brilliant deduction haha Do you have a C5 in a Les Paul?? Raising the poles will enhance the mids of that pickup.
            Last edited by Stevo; 08-10-2004, 06:33 AM.
            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I didn't care for the A4 mod at all -- the "high-highs" were way too high. It did seem to add some midrange.

I've have an A3 in my CC right now. In any other guitar, I think it would be a killer pickup mod. But the maple cap in the guitar it's in right now makes it sound bright, so I think I'll switch back to the A2 CC. [the A5 CC (i.e. C5) was all too wrong in that guitar].
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys

i dont think ill be cutting any of my magnets to do the half 3 half 4 alnico combo

i think im all pretty happy wit the c5 and ill try adjusting my presence a bit see how that helps

im quite happy with the mids atm,but ill keep that 'raising the middle pole pieces' trick in mind for a later date

also, just wanted to ask
                how high do u set ur c5 at - in comparison with your strings?

once again, ur replies were much appreciated!

Ishan
                Guitars:
                Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
                Amps:
                Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

I don't think the Custom is what you want either, it's brighter than the C5. But I like lotsa mids, what can I say. I'd still make the swap just to satisfy my curiosity. Only takes a minute.
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I found the C-5 brighter than the Custom since the lower mids emphasize the highs. I ended up finding I like a ton of thick mids in a pickup with rolled back highs. I ended up with the Rio Grande BBQ.

Comment

this is off topic..sorta... but, ishmun... NICE AMP

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                        this is off topic..sorta... but, ishmun... NICE AMP
                        hahah
                        thanks dude
                        it rocks!!!
                        sweet cleans and creamy leads

Ishan
                        Guitars:
                        Amps:

Comment

Working...
                        X