Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What goes with a C5??

hey guys

as u may have read, ive settled on a C5 for the bridge of my flying V, but im yet to decide on what to get for the neck

im thinking either a Pearly Gates or an A2Pro

what do u guys recommend?

i want it to be pretty versitile - be able to do clean sounds ala opeth, and mid gain tones like pearl jam, but also handle high gain soloing ala petrucci

am i asking too much?

what do u guys think?

thanks
    Ishan
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: What goes with a C5??

I love the PG in the neck position. It's my faveorite neck humbucker. The APH is cool too, but it's a bit too smooth for most of the things I do. Some people say that the C5 is close in sound to a beefed up 59, so a 59 n might be an option as well.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I had a c5/59 combo in 2 guitars and I liked them in both. The 59 has slightly more edge than the PG. If you want creamy smooth and sweet, go for the PG. If you want a little more edge and glass, go for the 59n. Both are nice pickups.
      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

In my Explorer I run a C5 bridge (C4 now) and a 59b in the neck.. Sweet!!
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I've got a PGn/C5b combo in my LP....very nice combo!

You'll really love that C5....super bada$$ !!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I vote for the APH-1. I like the smoothness and sweetness it provides. Great singing tone, handles distortion extrememly well and still remains defined. The PG is also great, but I found a slight mid hump in it that wasn't right for me when overdriven. Clean it's a great pup. That's why SD makes so many flavors. The cool thing is, whatever you pick, you'll have a 21 day exchange policy on it if you don't like it.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

I'm curious about a PG neck. I have 3 guitars with a C5 in the bridge and 2 of which have 59b in the neck. Seems to meet my needs and I dont think I could ask for more. Love that combo!
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                I vote for the APH-1. I like the smoothness and sweetness it provides. Great singing tone, handles distortion extrememly well and still remains defined. The PG is also great, but I found a slight mid hump in it that wasn't right for me when overdriven. Clean it's a great pup. That's why SD makes so many flavors. The cool thing is, whatever you pick, you'll have a 21 day exchange policy on it if you don't like it.
                im pretty unlucky in this respect
                as i live in Sydney, Australia, there is no 21 day exchange policy!!

its a major detriment to us aussie folk who wanna try out the more obscure SD pickups. an added problem is the fact that SD pickups are considerabley more expensive than Dimarzios
                as all my previous guitars are loaded with Dimarzios, i felt like a change, and boy am i happy
                Guitars:
                Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
                Amps:
                Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

59, Jazz, PG. Take your pick. You'll like either of them.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I agree with Gearjoneser, I have some Les Pauls and almost all have JB/Jazz, JB/59, C5/Jazz, or C5/59 combos. They work great together!!!!

Comment

MY LP has a c5 b and aIIpro neck. I love it. the neck is to my ears a bit warmer and has more bass than the PG neck that I've heard. I really chose between the aII, the PG, and the Seth, and in the end I chose the AII pro based on someone else's recommendation that it would sound beatiful clean and distorted and wouldn't make my neck tone to bright or harsh. I love it.
                      Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Working...
                      X