Duncan Hot Rails usable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Hot Rails usable?

Anyone have experience with Duncan Hot Rails? Jack Pearson (?) who played with the Allman Bros. way back, swore by them. I have also read every possible opinion of these pups from being great to dismal. I'm really comfortable with Strats & Teles so I'm trying to get a fat 'bucker sound from one these guitars. Or possibly Cool Rails? Thanks.

Steve

Re: Duncan Hot Rails usable?

If you play any form of rock/metal etc., you can't beat hot rails for a strat if your looking for a mini humbucker. They are hot, no doubt, but they do cleans okay (as far as humbuckers do cleans), although, depending on your amp you may have to tone it back a bit. For distortion watch out! Good tight bottom end, screaming high end, and nice harmonics. Definately has a "thunk" to it if you know what I mean. Paired with a cool rails in the neck or middle and/or a hot rails neck, you really can't go wrong tone wise.

Comment

Welcome to the board!

I use a Hot Rails bridge, Cool Rails Neck , Vint Rails mid in my MIA Strat. Alder Bod Maple neck. the Hot rails sounds great. It has a lot more uummmpphhhh to it than the stock Strat Pickups. I have not problem playing Heavy Metal with it but I can also turn down the volume an ddo ok playign Beatles Tunes. I like the cool rails too but a little less than the Hot rails.

I also have MIM tele with a hot rails bridge. IT sounds great to me but I use that guitar much less than my strat

Overall the Hot Rails is a fine pickup. I suggest you try it out. It fits into a strat with out requiring any changes.
      2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

I have had hot rails pickups in 2 strats and one tele, in the bridge positions. It's a great rock pickup that can get rude if you want it too. It sounds very nice in parallel too, if you want to get a little twangy.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I have a hotrails in the neck of my mexi fat strat. Now in the neck position your rythym sounds will be generally muddy (depending on amps/pedals/eq etc) but for lead its tone is AMAZING. The tone is so hot and searing and yet has that warmth you can only get from the neck position. So if you're a lead guitarist I'd try a hotrails in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan
            Now in the neck position your rythym sounds will be generally muddy (depending on amps/pedals/eq etc) but for lead its tone is AMAZING. The tone is so hot and searing and yet has that warmth you can only get from the neck position. So if you're a lead guitarist I'd try a hotrails in the neck.
            +1
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan
              The tone is so hot and searing and yet has that warmth you can only get from the neck position. So if you're a lead guitarist I'd try a hotrails in the neck.
              Exactly! I've been using Hot Rails on and off since 1987, and they are a great compromise between the the bite of the bridge positon and the smoothness of a neck pickup needed for that silky legato. Surprisingly warm, as if it had its own built-in tone capacitor; and yet airy and throaty when used with just the right guitar and amp set up.

Comment

I've used the Hot Rails in both the bridge and middle positions of Strats and Ibanezes.

Bridge on Strat with rosewood neck - AWESOME for metal. Tight bass, bright highs. Drives hot amps well and sounds great with effects. Holds its own against any full size humbucker.

Middle on Ibanez 750 (with shark tooth inlays - wish I still had it!) - No volume loss in switch positions 2 and 4. Never shrill. Good mate to a HOT bridge pickup.
                Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Just a quick follow up-- I highly recommend the bridge position, though the neck gets high ratings.

Comment

Working...
                  X