banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! My MightyMite Motherbucker sounds like crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! My MightyMite Motherbucker sounds like crap!

Anyways, I'm trying this MightyMite 22k beast in my Les Paul, and for some reason it sounds incredibly bad...worse than I expected (very tinny). Metering the output shows the proper 22k, so it's not a split issue, and the pups don't sound thin in the middle position...so it's not a phase issue...did I just get a dud?

Re: HELP! My MightyMite Motherbucker sounds like crap!

see what happens when you stray from the duncan line

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
      see what happens when you stray from the duncan line
      I'm fresh out of new Duncans, though! I was going to put a JB in the bridge, but the damned screw hole is stripped!

Comment

Put that motherbucker in the microwave until the microwave gives out. Then immerse it in hot boiling water for at least 4 hours. Then throw the damn thing away...it will sound fantastic hitting the bottom of the trash can. Nice low end thump.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

to fix a stripped screw hole: fill the hole with strong super glue, then redrill the hole. Done it many a times.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Is that the triple coil pup? If so, how did they get three coils to hum-buck, unless two of the same magnetic polarities are half output? I was always intrigued by that design, and thought is usefull for say switch between two coils nearest bridge, and then two coil furthest from bridge. Definitely some tonal options, never tried that one, the one that Alvarez had on some of thier Dana Scoops were pretty descent sounding though, I don't think all three coils were on at the same time though. Details man, details ...
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
              HELP! My MightyMite Motherbucker sounds like crap!
              I didn't know people actually bought those

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                I didn't know people actually bought those

Yeah, You´d think that the Tradeologist would know better
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

the real motherbucker

but really... i wouldnt have either.

wait a minute -

it sounds incredibly bad...worse than I expected
                  you expected it to be bad? why did you get it then
                  My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                  How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                    DCR means nothing for output really, reminds me of the DMZ Multibucker, now that pup sounds pretty cool (a Fast Track 1 and a Chopper in the same cover), same concept ... ie. two humbucking side by side rail pups.
                    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Anyways, I'm trying this MightyMite 22k beast in my Les Paul, and for some reason it sounds incredibly bad...worse than I expected (very tinny). Metering the output shows the proper 22k, so it's not a split issue, and the pups don't sound thin in the middle position...so it's not a phase issue...did I just get a dud?
                      Does it comes with a 4 conductor wiring? Could it be posible that you wired it in series but in phase?

Just clarify things a bit. A traditional humbucker it is made of two single coils that are oposite in phase (diferent winding direction) and in magnetic field (diferent polarity). When you have a 4 conductor wiring and you want to wire the pickup in series you have two chances: wire them in phase or out of phase. Out of phase it is the normal humbuker wiring (as I said before) and the expected tone should be high output/powerfull. In phase the tone it is thin and weak.

Sooooooooooo, Could it be posible that you wired the 4-condctor pickup in the wrong way?

In case you did you have to reverse the conductors of one of the single coil of the humbucker. In case you didn't... I have wasted a very precious time of my life!!!

Comment

I know guys, I've already suffered enough, so I don't need any more noogies! The is a regular double coil humbucker. I wasn't expecting Seymour Duncan magic with this pup (it was just a temporary!), but this is down right unusuable.

To make matters more complicated, when I ground the red and white wires connecting the coils, thus splitting it, it sounds BETTER and LESS trebly.

Comment

Nevermind, I fixed it...

Comment

Whadid ya do to make it work?
                            My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                              Whadid ya do to make it work?
                              I wired it like the "vintage" MightyMite humbuckers.

Comment

Working...
                              X