Impedence on pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedence on pickups

What happens if the impedence on pickups is not the same? Will it effect the sound quality much?

Re: Impedence on pickups

Hey destry; Your question is a little bit vague as to what your asking. Do you mean as in two supposedly identical pickups, like a pair of 59n's, that happen to measure slightly differently in ohms?

For example, one 59n measures 7.42k and one measures 7.45k.

Is that what you mean?

Comment

Perhaps you can explain what you mean by impedance. Are you really referring to resistance to alternating current, which varies by frequency? Or are you referring to resistance to direct current?
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
        Perhaps you can explain what you mean by impedance. Are you really referring to resistance to alternating current, which varies by frequency? Or are you referring to resistance to direct current?
        I think he is referring to overall output level, as in balancing pups for the best possbile audible mix, between and with one another.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I am replacing a Godin pickup with a Hotrail. It hadn't really thought about there being variation in power, sensitivity, and output of different pickups. I am learning as I go. So the question is, is it a problem (will it cause me problems) to mix two similar style pickups made by different folks. I picked Duncan pickups because some Godin guitars are using them now. It is on an old ST1 I am trying to rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by destry17
            I am replacing a Godin pickup with a Hotrail. It hadn't really thought about there being variation in power, sensitivity, and output of different pickups. I am learning as I go. So the question is, is it a problem (will it cause me problems) to mix two similar style pickups made by different folks. I picked Duncan pickups because some Godin guitars are using them now. It is on an old ST1 I am trying to rebuild.
            Only problem is if one is greatly louder than the other, and that's only a problem if you mind. Some people mismatch output level intentionally, some try to get both matched up. In general you want you bridge pup a bit louder than your neck pup, although with equal power pups you can lower the neck pup a bit to accomplish a similar thing as well. The only real way to know is to replace it, if it's to loud then you can always lower it a bit, and as a plus get lower string pull (a bit more sustain and harmonics from the string). It should work out just fine if it's going in the bridge. Is it a strat style guitar, if so the bridge and middle position should even out a bit more regardless.

Comment

Thank you much Kent. I'll go with the flow and Zen my way through this. It is a relief to have the info you gave.

Comment

Originally posted by destry17
                Thank you much Kent. I'll go with the flow and Zen my way through this. It is a relief to have the info you gave.
                The pup's tone is the first consideration, output level second in this case ... You don't want a pup that is WAY louder than the bridge though, as that does get a bit hard to balance volume wise, but a little bit louder you can get away with, especially if the pup's tone is a bit brighter than the bridge pup.

Comment

Working...
                X