Two PUs with two volume controls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two PUs with two volume controls?

I like to rewire my axe with seperate vol controls....
    i've wondered what's the best way to wire two buckers to the pot. I can connect them on this two ways:
    1) the "normal" way
    2) like on a Jazz Bass
    i made a small diagram....

with 1) if one is muted (control on 0) the others is muted two if i selected both, right?
    with 2) i don't have the normal volume contol. The load of the pick up goes down with the control. Can't imagine this is perfect.

How is it weird normal for example on a les paul?
    Does someone compared this both options? What about a treble bleed capictor for the second?
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Re: Two PUs with two volume controls?

ive tried it both ways and i usually go back to the normal way so #1. you have to deal with the fact that if ones off then the combined selection is muted as well but i havent found it to be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      ive tried it both ways and i usually go back to the normal way so #1. you have to deal with the fact that if ones off then the combined selection is muted as well but i havent found it to be a problem
      Ditto

Comment

oh thanks so much.... If i understand/interpretate right #1 is better for volume control....

I am still thinking that #2 could work for me coz i have vol on 10 most of time.
        if i had neck vol on 0 and switch both on then the load goes from 500k to 250K gaving me the option to warm up the bridge a bit - maybe useful...
        but that's just theory and the practice isn'T all the same.....
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Hey Marcel; this is a problem that has intrigued me ever since I learned about it, via this forum. I've actually got an interesting solution to this problem worked out on paper, and it works in the "lab". But I don't want to post it 'til I can try it out in a real-life guitar application.

I don't actually own a dual-volume contol guitar at this time. So the final stage of the test will either have to wait 'til I get one, or modify one of my current ones. Stay tuna-ed.

Comment

can't wait to see your solution...
            till then i gonna make my own thoughts
            hehe i just let the tone control go, i never use it....

now I have to decide how to wire my guitar. I need a new switch. Maybe i buy a 4 layer coz it isn't much more expensive, is it? three positions i'm sure about
            bridge
            bridge/neck
            neck
            but the other two??? maybe bridge split, neck split??

maybe i just make to much thoughts coz i am just playing the bridge position most of the time
            TS 7 (modded)
            Hot Rod 50+ XL
            Framus Dragon 4x12
            V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
              I like to rewire my axe with seperate vol controls....
              i've wondered what's the best way to wire two buckers to the pot. I can connect them on this two ways:
              1) the "normal" way
              2) like on a Jazz Bass
              i made a small diagram....

with 1) if one is muted (control on 0) the others is muted two if i selected both, right?
              with 2) i don't have the normal volume contol. The load of the pick up goes down with the control. Can't imagine this is perfect.

How is it weird normal for example on a les paul?
              Does someone compared this both options? What about a treble bleed capictor for the second?
              A treble bypass cap will do you little to no good on the variable load volume control, it will give you a bit more treble, but the amount of boost kinda tracks the wiper travel, not nrealy the effect of the constant load volume control. Most LP I have seen were wired like no1, meaning one volume killed the other when down ... others were wired the other way ... whether this was factory or not I couldn't say. A third variation is to wire one one way, and the other the other way ... the one wired like no1 will still act as a master kill when both pups are combined, the other will still suffer the same loading effects. Loading isn't all that bad, in fact I have noticed that on single coils the loading effcts are less, and the controls seem to stay a bit truer to their taper. Just depends on what you want.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                Hey Marcel; this is a problem that has intrigued me ever since I learned about it, via this forum. I've actually got an interesting solution to this problem worked out on paper, and it works in the "lab". But I don't want to post it 'til I can try it out in a real-life guitar application.

I don't actually own a dual-volume contol guitar at this time. So the final stage of the test will either have to wait 'til I get one, or modify one of my current ones. Stay tuna-ed.
                DUAL CHANNEL ACTIVE PREAMP WITH BUFFERED OUTPUTS ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                  Actually, my design stays true passive. Film at eleven.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                    with tubes not SS!!

one #1 and the other pub #2 seems to be a good compromise.... thx Kent
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                      Actually, my design stays true passive. Film at eleven.
                      Mine doesn't, but it is power from solar cells off the stage lights ... does that count?
                      Note: The preceeding statement is total ...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                        with tubes not SS!!

one #1 and the other pub #2 seems to be a good compromise.... thx Kent
                        Well for on-board preamp/buffers you pretty much have to go S.S. ... in that vein though Jfets are very transparent, and have transfer characteristics, and dynamics similar to a 12ax7A preamp tube ... the cool thing about them is unlike bipolar transitors they have high input Z and low output Z, and unlike opamp designs, when they do clip they go into and come out of clipping very smoothly ... unlike most opamp based designs. This is more for Artie to consider.

Secondly Marcel, look up the '50's wiring mod for tone controls as they may help with some highend preservation issues when turning down the volumes as well. You can also defeat the ground on one volume control when both pups are on, this lets you use it as an attenuator for the pup is connected to, it won't turn it off, or down as much ... But then again you don't often need that, jsut enough to mix the two.

Comment

the tube preamp should be a joke.... i wanna definatly go passive btw.
                          and i wanna keep it simple... and without tone control
                          TS 7 (modded)
                          Hot Rod 50+ XL
                          Framus Dragon 4x12
                          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                          X