Questionas about the PG bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionas about the PG bridge

I've been searching for a bridge pickup for a while, convinced that I had to go with a higher output pickup after using a Super Distortion for years.

Since I don't like the sound of a JB (the JB never sounds like you, YOU sound like the JB, IMO ), I bought a Custom and got 2 magnets out of my stock. The SH-5 is a great pickup, yet it lacks a little warmth (the same reason I let go of the SD). The C5 is way too dull for my taste, and the CC is too dark. My guitar is maple over mahagony, pretty thick, not the very light mahagony typical of most other Ibanez model.

So since I was fooling around, I removed the Custom and put my PG neck in the bridge just for the sake of it... well, much to my surprise, it has almost everything I was looking for. Maybe I'm getting old, but all higher output pups I tried lately annoyed me. With the PG, I can crank the gain without it being annoying at all. So my questions are :

If I buy a PG bidge, how much different will it sound compared to the PGn I currently have in my bridge (does this makes any sense )

I'd also like to put nickel covers on them, will this have a big impact on the sound?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Sly_D; 08-10-2004, 03:31 PM.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: Questionas about the PG bridge

i think the rbidge will be higher output

Comment

Yeah, thanks moom, if the tone chart worths anything, it's the DC ratings... wise guy

Comment

i have the PG bridge and it sounds nice. but i do not get the "open-ness" that my old goldtop pickups got. it sounds like a really hot/warm tele pickup to me.

Comment

I have tried the 59n in the bridge and I got a bit annoyed because it was too trebly and a bit thin. I guess the 59b bridge should be a bit more fatter and with a better bottom end. I think this could be apply to the PGn. So i think you should expect the same overall tone but with adapted properties to the bridge: more bass and a bit more fatter sound.

Comment

Yes, that's what I suspect... and look for actually. It's slightly hotter from the chart. I guess it's a little fatter to compensate for the treble of the bridge position. Thanks.

Comment

Sly - Have you tried a Seth Lover? It is also an a2 magnet pickup with a nickel cover. Both are very nice pickups, but I think the Seth Lover is worth checking out also, if you get a chance.
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Here is a tune I did when I had a PG in my Les Paul bridge. It is very open and pretty bright, with an emphasis on the upper mids.
                PG Tune
                My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I've used a PGb for a while and I can't stop saying good things about it! It's just really really nice sounding... If you learn to play around with your tone pot you're in paradise... it's just a great sounding bridge pick-up IMO...

Comment

Stevo: it's the second time I hear this clip, and every time, it reminds me of Fractured Mirror, from 1978 Ace Frehley's solo album. Same vibe. Thanks a lot for the clip. The PG sound different on my small amp, no surprise here. You are very gifted gear-wise Stevo The brightness is what I fear a little. I've always used fatter pups. I also considered Seths, but they are very expensive.

Thanks Surgeon... I was considering a DiMarzio Air Zone before trying the PG... I don't what it is, but the PG has a little thing that hooked me. Interestingly, I really like Warren Haynes' tone (he uses 2 PGs), yet I always told myself the PG bridge would not be for me...

I may still go with the DiMarzios for the Ibanez though, I'll buy the PG bridge for my other guitar, be it the ESP Hybrid or something else if I finally can sell it.

Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

If you want a low output-non treble pickup you can consider the Alnico pro. I have never tried it but it seems a very good pickup that can handle distortion. Just check Slash recordings, all of them are distorted and all of them have a great tone...

Comment

Working...
                      X