Recommended PUPS for slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommended PUPS for slide

I've had great results on my Strat (strung with 0.11's) with a Lil' 59 in the bridge position, but I wired the first tone pot as a master tone control, and the second pot as a "twist-a-split" control for the bridge p/u to allow me to gradually go from humbucker to single coil. I use a 500k Ohm pot. I don't know if I truly completely ground out the second coil, but if that's a problem, you could probably get a "no load" pot.

Tone wise, it goes from pretty thin to a nice, thick sound.

Brett
    Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop Flame- Phat Cats; Hamer Sunburst Archtop Quilted- Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Brian Moore i21 - Alnico 2 Pro(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Tex Mex Strat - Classic Stack(n)/Lil' 59(b); Carvin DC135T - used oval HotRails(n)/CustomCustom(b); '68 Gibson ES-335 - Jazz(b); RI Fender Bass VI (bari-electric Hot Rails bridge?); Standard Tele-Ash(SE)pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar
      Derek Trucks sounds great playing slide on his Gibson SG with stock alnico 2 Gibson 57 Classic humbuckers.

Lew
      Just sounds "great"? Ungodly, unbelievable, crap-your-pants tone is more like it. If you've ever seen him live, his tone will cut right through you!

(Sorry, I've been going through a HUGE Derek phase lately. )
      "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
      - C.S. Lewis

Comment

To me Derek's tone is a little on the bright side. I love Duane's and Warren's slide tones. Thicker, with the highs washed off.

I am using 498T/490R on a EPI SG that I set up for slide. And it sounds decent.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
        X