Strat Wiring Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Wiring Idea

Ok, I've worked on this several times, and my puny brain just can't get this to work:

I want a strat with a 3-way switch that selects neck, neck+bridge, and bridge.

On top of that, I want a switch (or two) to selectively add the middle pickup with whatever is selected by the 3-way. I want it to be added in serial, in parallel, or not at all.

Can any wiring diagram gurus come up with something that could work?
    This machine kills fascists

The first part is simple. Just connect the neck and bridge to a 3-way switch ala a two-pickup guitar. Then add a simple SPST switch to bring in the middle at any time.

The tricky part is doing the "series" thing. I'll work on it, and post something when I get home.

Comment

This is relatively easy, but it requires two switches. I have my H/S/S set up with C5/Cool Rail/Cool Rail in a similar system. The C5 and neck cool rail are connected to the 3-way gibson style switch. The middle Cool Rail is connected to a push-pull volume pot which serves as an on off switch. When the knob is down the middle pickup is off; when the knob is pulled up the middle pickup is turned on in parallel with whatever is selected via the switch.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yeah, the series thing is the tricky part. I rarely use the middle by itself, which is why I went to the 3-way switch with the idea of a separate control for adding the middle. What's making my wiring diagrams tricky is the series/parallel option.

What dystrust is doing is basically the same idea, but I'm guessing the push-pull pot just adds the middle in series.

actually, an idea just popped into my head where I would use 2 on/off mini toggles, one for adding the middle in series and one for adding the middle in parallel. I don't know if it will work, but I'll see if I can draw it out when I get home from work.

Comment

Using a SPST switch to add the middle pickup in parallel should be easy, if I'm thinking right (not always the case.) You may need a DPDT switch to add it in series, though. However, I have been proven wrong in the past.

Comment

Here's something I doodled real quick:

Lets say you're using a push-pull volume and tone control:

With both in, you have a normal 3-way, that selects between neck and bridge.

If you pull the Tone knob up, you add in the middle pickup, no matter where the 3-way is set.

Now, push the tone back in, and pull up the volume knob. Now you're connecting all three pickups in series. But, only if the 3-way is in the "neck" or "middle" position. (In the "bridge" position, will kill the output.)

With the volume knob pulled up, pulling the tone up also, will give you the middle pickup only.

This isn't a perfect solution, but its something to think about. I'm going to play with this some more, and see if I can't improve it somewhat.

Artie

BTW - If you omit the tone switch, and just connect the middle pickup wires where the tone switch is connected, you have a slightly simpler design that gives you normal 3-way operation with the volume knob in - and puts all three into series with volume knob up. Just another idea.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-25-2004, 03:45 PM.

Comment

While I was doodling with that, I came up with this. Its a kinda variation on the Lindy Fralin "blend" pot idea.

Its dirt simple. Just wire up the neck and bridge to a normal 3-way, then wire up the middle pickup to the "other" tone control.
              Now, you can select the neck/bridge with the 3-way, like normal, and "dial-in" however much middle you want at any time.

Artie

(And, of course, remove the cap from the "other" tone control.)
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-25-2004, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Would this work?

Comment

The bottom two, bypass & parallel, work. But I don't understand what you're doing with the top one. You don't have the wires labeled the same as the bottom two, and you seem to have both a green N/B ground, and a blue N/B ground. Plus, you don't show a mid hot.

Is that a typo? Is there another switch somewhere that you aren't showing?

Not sure what you're doing here.

Comment

Whoops, that's a typo on the top. Just pretend that the same labels from the bottom two switch positions are the same in the top.

So:
                    (translating top into correct labels)
                    n/b switch = mid hot (red)
                    n/b ground = n/b switch (blue)

actually, I don't think that top position would work, since mid ground will be going to mid hot...

back to the ol' drawing board!

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
                      Whoops, that's a typo on the top. Just pretend that the same labels from the bottom two switch positions are the same in the top.

So:
                      (translating top into correct labels)
                      n/b switch = mid hot (red)
                      n/b ground = n/b switch (blue)

actually, I don't think that top position would work, since mid ground will be going to mid hot...

back to the ol' drawing board!
                      Thats what I thought you meant - and you're correct, it wouldn't work.

Let me ask you one more thing, when you say, you want the middle in series, do you mean, all three p'ups in series, or the middle p'up in series with the parallel combo of the neck/bridge?

Its not quite the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                        Thats what I thought you meant - and you're correct, it wouldn't work.

Let me ask you one more thing, when you say, you want the middle in series, do you mean, all three p'ups in series, or the middle p'up in series with the parallel combo of the neck/bridge?

Its not quite the same thing.
                        Middle in series with whatever is selected by the 3-way. So...

neck+middle
                        neck&bridge + middle
                        birdge + middle

so yeah, I guess the neck and bridge would be parallel...but to be honest, that position doesn't concern me so much, as the ability to add the middle in series or parallel with the neck or bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
                          ...but to be honest, that position doesn't concern me so much, as the ability to add the middle in series or parallel with the neck or bridge.
                          Cool . . . that actually makes the problem a bit easier.
                          Let me tinker with this a bit more.

Comment

Ok, this turned out to be pretty easy once I thought about it.
                            The only thing is, you can't really use a push/pull pot. You'll need a second 3-way switch,
                            and it must be the "Alco" style.
                            (Like in your diagram.)

Try this:

Also, note that the switch came out in the drawing backwards from conventional orientation. Make sure you wire it according to my legend below. (I mean in the bottom of the pic.)

With the Alco switch in the middle, you have normal Neck/Bridge 3-way selection. With the switch up, the middle pickup is added in parallel, and with it down, in series.

(With the parallel combo of the N/B.)

I hope this works out for you.

Artie

Oh yeah, and take your spare tone control, and put it across the middle pup for its own control.

One last thing: I've gotten into the habit of drawing tone controls in the 50's mod configuration. If you don't want that, put it on the other side of the volume control.
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-25-2004, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Super kewl!

That ended up being a lot simpler than I had tried to make it. One question: what do you mean the switch is backwards from conventional orientation? When I trace out the miniswitch, it looks like your wiring is fine to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X