Best suited pickup for thrash to sweet overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best suited pickup for thrash to sweet overdrive

I've been looking for a Good high-output humbucker for my ibanez rg1570(basswood, h-s-h). I'm looking for nice clear lead tone(legato and notes not to blur) and to a nice thrash rhythm tone all from the bridge. And a nice clean humbucker for the neck and crisp sweet tone for soloing on the neck. What pickups what you guys recommned? Dont just give duncans here give emgs duncans and dimarzio recommendations. Thanks for any help

Re: Best suited pickup for thrash to sweet overdrive

I've had good luck so far with EMG's.

I've limited experience with different pickups, so I'll only talk about the ones I've used myself...

For comparison I run two Fender single coils and a Super Distortion in one guitar, a JB in the other (only one PU in that one), and an EMG 85n/81b in the third.

Just by fiddling with the tone and volume on those pickups I've been able to find all sorts of tones I like. They cover the thrash end (considering that both Metallica and Slayer use EMGs, that shouldn't be hard), and I've been able to get a surprisingly good Slash tone out of the neck 85 into an emulated Marshall; the notes have just the right amount of searing blur to them.

The JB is also an excellent pickup, and plays really heavy with plenty of mids, but I think it may be a tad bass heavy for thrash, but I bet there's pleny of people who could make better suggestions than me when it comes to Duncans.

The Super Distortion is also an excellent pickup, and would probably be a good thrash pickup, although I think there's better options available.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I have used emg 81 and 85, dun. distortion, and the jb. I like them all to tell you the truth and any one of these is a good choice. For just playing hard all out thrash I like the distortion the most though. Listen to any Megadeth and they strictly use the jb and it sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by presa_tito
        Listen to any Megadeth and they strictly use the jb and it sounds awesome.

I guess I should qualify my statement.....

....I play though a Rectifier. Through the Recto it's kinda bass heavy. If it was going through a Marshall, it'd probably sound spot on.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
        X