banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awesome way to split pickups without buying a push-pull pot of extra switch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Awesome way to split pickups without buying a push-pull pot of extra switch!

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    You don't wire "both" pickups to the tone control. Lets make sure we understand this. First of all, in the spin-a-split mod, one tone control is converted to a spin-a-split pot. Its no longer a tone control. (Although it can be. More on that later.)
    You can only spin-a-split one pup per pot. So, if you wanted to do this with two pups, you'ld have to convert both tone pots over, or, and this would probably be the better option, replace the tone control that you're converting with a dual-concentric pot. Then you can do both.

Ok, remember, as I state above, its no longer a tone control. The "split" happens gradually over the entire travel of the pot. So, you are "dialing-in" any degree of "split" that you want. There is no "point" per se. You just fade in, (or out), the other coil.

Now, as for the splitting and being a tone control at the same time: this is exactly how a Peavey T-60 is wired. The red/white wire is connected to the unused end of the tone control. As you bring the tone control around to a certain point, the resistance-to-ground becomes low enough that coil "splits".

Here's a Peavey T-60 diagram. Keep in mind in this diagram, Peavey has the red/white wires connected together internally, and they only bring the red wire out. But its the same thing as the red/white combo on a Seymour Duncan pickup. Also, Peaveys "white" wire, is SD's "black" wire.

Could you take the phase switch out?
    It's hurting my brain...
    Satanists In Love-
    Dance With The Kings
    of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
    Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
    Fingers on the Pulse of America,
    and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
    http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Re: Awesome way to split pickups without buying a push-pull pot of extra switch!

Originally posted by TheGZeus
      Could you take the phase switch out?
      It's hurting my brain...
      Done. However, just for the record, the phase switch was Peavey's doing, not mine.

BTW - In case anyone was wondering, this is actually an old thread, brought back forward because of a conversation me and wasteof02 were having in the chat room.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
        Done. However, just for the record, the phase switch was Peavey's doing, not mine.

BTW - In case anyone was wondering, this is actually an old thread, brought back forward because of a conversation me and wasteof02 were having in the chat room.
        Knew that, but those were the days of "I need elevnty billion sounds! MORE IS BETTER!! WHO NEEDS A SPINE I WANT SUSTAAAAAAAAIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!"
        Cool guitars, though.
        Norhtern WHite ash.... better suited toa neck than a body. I know a guy has some of that wood that will throw sparks off it if you hit it with a hammer or skim it with a hatchet.

I want some of that. stuff.
        Satanists In Love-
        Dance With The Kings
        of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
        Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
        Fingers on the Pulse of America,
        and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
        http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Yup . . . I just taped the "Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live at Montreux" special off of satelite. Standing right there, on stage, beside Stevie was Johnny Copeland playing a beautiful, white Peavey T-60.

Just what I needed . . . more fuel for GAS.

Comment

Working...
          X