Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help!

I got a JB installed a while back in my Gibson SG Standard...and I find i have less sustain than i had with my standard alnico humbucker....is there something i can adjust to make it better..or should i take it back to where i got the pickup installed and ask them to make adjustments..or is it something i can do here in my home..thanks..the tone is great though, its just the sustain, like my solos sound like **** because it wont sustain for longer than 3 seconds...its awful..please help

Re: Please Help!

Is the pickup set too close to the strings? Also, did the person that installed the pickup change anything about your guitar's setup?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

well..the pickup is about 3/16" from the strings treble side, 4/16" rhythm side..and well i adjusted the pole pieces myself but im not sure if i did that right..and now im not sure what it looked like before so i have no idea if its that...and yes they did in fact they lowered my rhythm pickup but thats about it setup wise that they did..

Comment

If your original pickup was an alnico II you may actualy lose sustain by switching to an Alnico 5 pickup like the JB. The JB's magnetic force pulls down on the strings more than an alnico II pickup. You may try adjusting the pickup down a bit to move it away from the strings. Usualy more of problem with neck pickups though.
        Last edited by NathanCahill; 08-11-2004, 12:32 PM.
        Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Comment

yeah ok thanks, well the JB has far superior tone to the alnico i had in, but the sustain is the only disappointment to me..well i just tried lowering the pickup and it takes away even more from the sustain than it did at the higehr point
          Last edited by ThriceDeadbolt86; 08-11-2004, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThriceDeadbolt86
            well..the pickup is about 3/16" from the strings treble side, 4/16" rhythm side..and well i adjusted the pole pieces myself but im not sure if i did that right..and now im not sure what it looked like before so i have no idea if its that...and yes they did in fact they lowered my rhythm pickup but thats about it setup wise that they did..
            My original post must have been being typed while the above post was being posted. The pickup may be too far away. My bridge pickup is only 1\16" away from the strings. At that range a JB may become harsh though. My current bridge pickup is a stock gibson. Anybody else have any suggestions?
            Last edited by NathanCahill; 08-11-2004, 02:23 PM.
            Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Comment

well 3/16" is the recommended height im told for a JB so..its not too far away..i just have crap sustain

Comment

Lol, I can see what kind of tone you are after. The JB has got it and also plenty of sustain, you just have to find the sweet spot by adjusting it.
                What worked for me (and many others) is the following:

1) Raise all the pole pieces so the bottom of the screws are flush with the top of the bobbin.
                2) Ajust the pieces so they make this pattern / \ / \ / \

3)Adjust the pickup height by using your ears, play a little then adjust some more untill you like what you hear. I always have the JB set up as close to the strings as possible.

All of this combined will unleash the JB's real potential. Good luck, take it easy and trust your ears.

Comment

Working...
                X