No announcement yet.

If I'm using 250k pots with humbuckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I'm using 250k pots with humbuckers?

Strats tend to be naturally bright, most humbuckers give out the best performence when used with 500k pots (especially high output/dark pups) I'm using 250k pots with my humbucking strat and I'm thinking about bright/harsh and muddy/uncutting issues. For example, the screaming demon isn't exactly described to be equipped with a smooth top, especially w/ 500 pots. And using a CC with 250k pots doesn't seem to be a cutting solution. The only HB's I can really think about putting in my strat AS IS would be: 59, JB, Jazz.
    Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
    JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
    Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
    Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby
    Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Re: If I'm using 250k pots with humbuckers?

Pups that I question are: SD, PG, C5, PATBs (original & blues). I don't know if a wood's natural bright tone will keep the sound of a C5 cutting or if the 250k valued pots will diminish it's top end and presence. I somehow think that a PG would be the perfect pup for my concern, it has A2 mag for warmth and balance and distinct upper-mid/high frequencies that keeps it cutting and biting.
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

I already know that a JB/Jazz will work fine in 250 pot strat, but how original is that combo. I think I'll be going PATB-3 and PGn most likely. But I'm still really anxious to hear what others think about this wood/pot/pup principle.
      Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

My HSS Pacifica has had both 500k and 250k volume pots in it, bro, 250k DOES smooth out the highs...and, to me, it suits pickups like the Demon. I chose to go with 250k to smooth out my duckbuckers and it seems to be the right match for the whole configuration

Comment

I figured the demon would be very hard to get to sound muddy and I never suspected it to be a muddy issue, but was more concerned of about the whole SD+Strat=Harsh brigtness regardless of pot value. thanks for your input.
          Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

I have a 500K volume and a 250K tone in my Strat. I have gone 500K on both, 250K on both ( not enough drive for me) so I found the 500K Volume with 250K Tone to work extremely well for me. Has the drive I like but the harshness is no longer there, yet it still has all the bite I could want.
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Working...
            X