The difference between a neck and bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference between a neck and bridge pickup

I'm just starting to install new pickups in my guitar and I was wondering if someone could give the difference between a neck and bridge pickup and if it is possible to reverse the install (ie:neck in bridge spot, bridge in neck spot).
    My Axes:
    96 Black Swirl/Rosewood Legacy
    92 Cherryburst/Maple Legacy
    2004 Silver PRS Tremonti SE

My Amps:
    Kustom 72 Combo
    Mesa F50 Head with a Geezer Cab
    Epiphone Valve Junior Head w Spanky Mod

Re: The difference between a neck and bridge pickup

You can do whatever you want. Neck pickups have less turns of wire around their bobbins than the neck version of the same model. This gives the neck both lower output (keeping the neck from overpowering the bridge) and a brighter sound than the bridge version (keeps it from being muddy).
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

If the pole spacing is the same, then you can switch them but you might not like the sound you get from them and the output would be mismatched.

Comment

There really is no difference between bridge and neck humbuckers other than output and eq and while some pickups are designated as bridge or neck, that is to identify position in matched sets. Any pickup really can be used in either position, but you might not like the tone if you go too hot in the neck.

Bridge pickups in matched sets are usually a little warmer and have more output to balance the pickups out. But if you wanted a slightly warmer, slightly hotter 59 in the neck position you could use a 59b and a then hotter pickup like a C-5 in the bridge.

It doesn't make sense to put a 59b in the neck and visa versa in the same guitar, but you could I guess.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Why would there be a difference in EQ?
          I like my necks thin my strats fat and my women somewhere in between.

Comment

Reason I was asking is because I have an Alnico II Pro™ Humbucker-Bridge that i want to put in and I was wondering if I had the option to run that at the neck position? If so, what to use to complement? (ie: if I had to swap the neck pickup to the bridge)
            My Axes:
            96 Black Swirl/Rosewood Legacy
            92 Cherryburst/Maple Legacy
            2004 Silver PRS Tremonti SE

My Amps:
            Kustom 72 Combo
            Mesa F50 Head with a Geezer Cab
            Epiphone Valve Junior Head w Spanky Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
              But if you wanted a slightly warmer, slightly hotter 59 in the neck position you could use a 59b and a then hotter pickup like a C-5 in the bridge.
              Hmmm . . . that sounds interesting. I wonder if anyone has actually done that, and how it sounded.

Originally posted by Ikkyu88
              Reason I was asking is because I have an Alnico II Pro™ Humbucker-Bridge that i want to put in and I was wondering if I had the option to run that at the neck position? If so, what to use to complement? (ie: if I had to swap the neck pickup to the bridge)
              Hey Ikkyu88; If its any help, a Stag Mag is designed for the bridge only. I put a pair of them in a guitar and it worked out pretty good. (I didn't leave it like that, but it was cool for awhile.)

Comment

Originally posted by techonly
                The more winds, the greater the resistance, and the "hotter" the pickup. Also, the greater the resistance, the less highs.

Why would you want that? Well, compared to the neck position, the strings have less excursion at the bridge position, leading to less output. The bridge position is also brighter. So, by winding the bridge pickup with greater resistance, the highs get tamed and there's more output. The result is a bridge pickup that better compliments the neck pickup (and vice-versa).
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by techonly
                  I would say that when you think bridge pickup, you think midrangey, bright, cutting, etc etc... Generally the bridge is for aggresive music, or just for music where some BITE is required. But the neck pickup is EQ'd for different tone, lighter, softer and smoother, and as we know it's great for cleans!

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't generally get screaming chords or pinch harmonics out of my neck pickup.... the bridge and neck are EQ'd differently based on their position and the tone you can achieve there.

Just what I think
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                  X