7 String Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String Pickups

So as I posted on the other forum, I'll be receiving a 7-stringer soon... I asked for some pickup suggestions but I'm a little dissapointed, so I figured I'd start a topic on here, the pickup forum.

Guitar: Schecter Lefty 007 Elite, Mahogany/Maple top, set neck, string thru.

Looking for something that in the bridge, will have a hefty amount of low end, treble that isn't overbearing/shrill (less than SH-5?), and have harmonics and clarity.

Neck - Something real fat, clear, and capable of jazzy clean sounds. Metal work with distortion, thogh.

HELP!!!!

P.S. Don't forget dimarzios.

Re: 7 String Pickups

Could you possibly give me some idea about what ballpark tone you'd be going for (an example of a band with a similar tone, say), and what amp you're using? I could be full of suggestions, but if I don't know what kinda tone you're aiming for most of them would probably be crap
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I don't think there's a band I could compare it to - I don't know of many bands with 7-stringers! The best I can say is I want a heavy, crushing, take no prisoners sound, with some versatility (via coil splitting) and Zakk Wylde-like harmonics even on the low B string. Something hot. I almost want to say, something over the top heavy; but clarity is a little more important to me. I do not, in any way, want this guitar to sound "vintage", I want a modern sound that will separate me from other guitarists!

Amp's a Marshall Valvestate Combo - VS102R
      Last edited by The Don; 08-12-2004, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I put a Custom/Jazz set in my RG1527. The two guitars can't really compare to each other because of different body woods, construction, etc. But I was quite happy with the sound. The Custom does not seem shrill at all to me. I would have liked it to be a little hotter, but that is my personal taste. Had I done it all over again, I might have gone with the Distortion 7 in the bridge. I absolutely love that pickup.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

How does the Jazz model sound in the neck? I was considering going with a DiMarzio PAF 7 in the neck but I'm not sure. How is it for cleans, distortion, etc ?

As for the bridge pickup, honestly, nothing by Duncan has caught my eye as of yet. I'm most likely going with a Tone Zone or an Evo. If anyone can convince me otherwise, please do so!

Comment

Originally posted by The Don
            How does the Jazz model sound in the neck? I was considering going with a DiMarzio PAF 7 in the neck but I'm not sure. How is it for cleans, distortion, etc ?

As for the bridge pickup, honestly, nothing by Duncan has caught my eye as of yet. I'm most likely going with a Tone Zone or an Evo. If anyone can convince me otherwise, please do so!

The PAF7 is a great neck pickup. I'm very happy with it, but it's not really bluesy. Kind of telecasterish. Very good coil split to sound like a telecaster.

Comment

From what I've read it's stuck in between "vintage" and "modern" - not bluesy, not metally, but somewhere else.

Well, there's not many choices for the neck here... Air Norton, Jazz, and PAF 7 ... the PAF 7 does sound intriguing; and I'm not so high on the Air Norton - not enough treble coming from the neck position of a mahogany guitar? And anyways I've had one in my LP and I wasn't all that impressed, though I was looking for something PAFish at the time.

PAF 7 vs. SH-2 Jazz in the neck.

Blaze Custom vs. Evo vs. SH-6 in the bridge.

Any more suggestions/comments? Please?

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Working...
                X