Acoustic Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Pickups

Well, I've been hanging out on this Forum since some time last year & I think this is the first time I've ever posted anything in "The Pickup Lounge" !

Anyway, I've been getting into acoustic music quite a bit lately & have been reading a lot about the different "styles" or types of p/us & all their little intricacies & idiosyncrocies.....................

What type of pick-ups do you guys use in your acoustic guitars...were they factory installed/did you install them...or do you just stick a mic in front of them ?????

And has anyone tried D-TAR stuff????
    Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 03-25-2004, 03:50 PM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Re: Acoustic Pickups

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
    And has anyone tried D-TAR stuff????
    It's no surprise that I have.

I have a Timber-Line in my Gibson J45 flat-top acoustic. It's a very sweet guitar. You can see it in the background here. The 18 volt pre-amp really lets you "thwack" the strings without it going into that piezo "quack" that I hate.

In that same picture, just below my left elbow, you can see a portion of my Solstice two-channel mixer-blender. For live applications, I use it so I can do my own gain and EQ adjustments -- as well as make phase corrections if I need to. In the studio, I use it as a mic pre and a mixer-blender. We "borrowed" the hybrid circuit architecture on the mic pres from the old Neve boards from the '70s -- so needless to say, they're really warm.

There are few other D-TAR products I'm thinking of getting. One is the Perfect Timbre to go on my Dana Bourgeois OM. Many people say it's the closest pickup to a mic.

And lately, I've been thinking of getting a mandolin. If I do, I'll probably get a Hot SoundSpot.

BTW, the D-TAR Forum is now up and running, for more acoustic chat with Rick Turner himself.

I hope this post didn't come off like an infomercial.

Cheers,
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

No problem Evan...thanks! I also went over to the D-TAR Forum & pretty much asked the same thing, only this thread got one more response than that one, so..............

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Re: Re: Acoustic Pickups

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
        It's no surprise that I have.

i dont know why, but i cant stop laughing from that. lol
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

If you're interested in learning about the new Mama Bear Digital Acoustic Guitar preamp that's discussed in this month's Acoustic Guitar Magazine, check out the thread in the D-TAR forum.

I think it's pretty interesting.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
          X