Duncan Custom question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Custom question

I recently installed a duncan custom in my gibson sg. I'm not getting as much gain as I thought I'd get. I thought I'd get as much gain as the JB. I am just complelety wrong? I did install the pick up myself and I'm wondering if I didn't install it properly. any input?

Re: Duncan Custom question

Well, if you look at the tonechart, and the DC resistance, the custom doesn't have as much output as the JB... it still has a lot of drive tho, I just love it...

Comment

You might try raising poles or moving the pickup closer to the strings, if you can.
      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I'd say they were about the same. THe JB is wired hotter, but of course the Custom has the ceramic. Do like Stevo said, play with the height.

Not sure that was actually helpful. Oh well. Free post, yay.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Mess with the height but the bottom line I think is that the JB is just a hotter pick up. So if you want hotter, you'll probably have to go with that, a Distortion, Dimebucker, etc. Custom is a great pup though. Personally I don't need or want my pup driving my amp, I have more than enough gain as is!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

So, what kind of amp are you using komaba? Have you ever tried the JB in your SG?

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

i played both in the same aye and couldn't say the JB is much hotter...
              RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
              TS 7 (modded)
              Hot Rod 50+ XL
              Framus Dragon 4x12
              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by komaba
                I recently installed a duncan custom in my gibson sg. I'm not getting as much gain as I thought I'd get. I thought I'd get as much gain as the JB. I am just complelety wrong? I did install the pick up myself and I'm wondering if I didn't install it properly. any input?
                I noticed the same thing when I first installed my custom. Remember, its not a hot pickup. like the others said, play with the pickup height (thats what i did) and the gain was better. I had to raise the gain on the preamp but not too much but even when I raised the gain a little bit, it still was clear and tight.
                www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

hope your refering to "gain" as volume here, Its a farily high output put , and pushes my amp pretty hard, its dynamic though and can clean up. I would just add more gain on your amp, its easier to add gain than to get rid of it from the start.
                  PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                  1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                  Blackstar HT-5
                  2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                  Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the response. I haven't checked back in a while. What I meant by gain was distortion. Sorry for not being more clear. I'm not getting as much distortion as a JB. I installed the custom in my SG standard to get a beefier tone to match my LP Standard w/ a JB. I play through a JCM 800 and get great distortion through the LP. I've raised the pickup as high as i could. The SG is just not cutting it. Any suggestions? Maybe I need a different pickup? More beef and distortion for my SG. Thanks!

Comment

I have played on guitars with a custom and jb pickups and
                      the jb is hotter but i like the custom better because of its
                      clairity under high gain...I use a distortion pedal if i want distortion
                      ....if you are looking for high output and distortion
                      i would say to try the full shred or Duncan Distortion.
                      "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

I have had the same experience. I have JB and Custom loaded axes. The JB distortion is more "distortiony" than the Custom in my opinion. More of an 80's sound at least to me. I don't understand the physics behind the whole thing, but the Custom seems more focused, and the JB more lush or colorful. I like them both, but for different reasons.

The Custom says: "bwaaaaaaahhhhhh"
                        The JB says: "bwaahhwahhhhwahhhwahhh"
                        Originally posted by Scott_F
                        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

The JB is a good match for your SG. I tried the Custom in the bridge of my SG as well and didn't like it for the same reasons you've stated. I switched to the JB in the bridge and haven't looked back.
                          PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                          PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                          GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                          Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                          Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                          various pedals

Comment

Working...
                          X