• Show
Clear All

• Kent S.
    replied
    Re: new pick-ups and new wiring

Originally posted by Davess4
    Thanks again for the info.
    I was also wondering about colors.
    I saw on the seymour duncan website that they have black-red colors for a lot of thier pick-ups. But I don't see those color choices listed on the guitar center website. Can you actually get ones with those colors?
    Yes you can, but you'll have to get GC or whoever to order them from SD for you ... you'll probably have to put down a 50% deposit though for ordering.

Leave a comment:

• Davess4
    replied

Thanks again for the info.
    I was also wondering about colors.
    I saw on the seymour duncan website that they have black-red colors for a lot of thier pick-ups. But I don't see those color choices listed on the guitar center website. Can you actually get ones with those colors?

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    replied

You can get them just about anywhere that sells guitar parts. Dimarzio makes the highest quality push/pull pots that I know of, but they only make them in a linear taper at the moment. According to Dimarzio tech support, audio taper pots will be available sometime in September. I went through this recently, as most of the places I found sold cheap import parts. I had two Stewart MacDonald push/pull pots go bad on me, so I would strongly suggest you avoid those. I like to use audio taper volume pots and linear taper tone pots, so I ended up with Dimarzio pots for the tone controls, and Gibson pots for the volume controls. I have one of each left over, I haven't put them on Ebay yet...PM me if you're interested.

As far as the dimensions go, they're all pretty much the same. Les Paul's sometimes require long shaft pots, but just about every other guitar uses regular shaft pots.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Davess4
    replied

Thanks guys.
    Also where could I order push-pull pots from? and is there a specific dimension they will need to be to fit my guitar?

BTW, thanks for the ebay offer, but I'm leaving town in two days so I just want to order stuff from a retailer and have them be here when I get back.

-Dave

Leave a comment:

• joelap
    replied

JB/Jazz or JB/Alnico 2 Pro.

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    replied

JB/Jazz is a good combination if you want a higher output pickup in the bridge. The Custom 5 also works well, and has a little less output than the JB. If you want more of a vintage sound, go with a '59 in the bridge. As for the wiring, I would avoid the spin-a-split wiring. You lose the full range of your tone control if you do that, because the pickup starts to split around 7. If you like a brighter tone, you may not want to keep the tone control that low in humbucker mode. I would go with push/pull pots instead. In fact, I have two extra push/pull pots I was going to put on Ebay, if you're interested. Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Davess4
    started a topic new pick-ups and new wiring

new pick-ups and new wiring

hey guys,
    I have a schecter C1+. which I've been playing for about two years now.
    I wanted to put some new pick-ups in it to get a little bit of a brighter and clearer tone. I play a lot of rock. everything from zeppelin to the pumpkins. And I also play a little bit of Jazz. I was thinking about puting a jazz in the neck and I can't decide about the bridge. I was thinking maybe JB in the bridge. I'm still open though.
    The thing I was wondering about was wiring. My guitar has 3 pots, one tone and two volume, and a three way switch. I was thinking either I should get a push-pull pot to split the pick-ups or else I should just wire them for spin-split on one of the volume pots, and have one volume, one tone and one spin-split. Any recomendations?

-Dave
Working...
X