Humbuckers for Strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humbuckers for Strats

Try the 500k pot, your 250k might acutally be 200k? Check them with a meter before you put them in.

I have a SD PG's in a Strat with a 500k tone pot, sounds good to my tin ears! I think it was Jeremy on this board who recommended it, great choice IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jajaw
      Try the 500k pot, your 250k might acutally be 200k? Check them with a meter before you put them in.

I have a SD PG's in a Strat with a 500k tone pot, sounds good to my tin ears! I think it was Jeremy on this board who recommended it, great choice IMO.
      Cool jajaw, I'm gonna try that...I think my tech might change the cap too (to whatever is standard for a hummer)
      Guitars:
      1998 Fender Custom Stratocaster
      1985-86 MIJ Fender ALL Rosewood Telecaster
      1996 Fender Stratocaster S-S-H ('59B)
      1997 Fender Strotocaster
      2002 Gibson Les Paul Junior
      2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard
      1996 MIJ Fender '72 Thinline Tele

Amps:
      '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
      '66 Fender Super Reverb
      '01 Fender Super Reverb RI
      '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
      Fulltone Fulldrive 2
      Teese Picture Wah
      MJM Blues Devil
      Bad Bob Boost

Comment

Originally posted by Troy T. Blues
        What is the verdict on the Screamin' Demon here?

Liked or disliked?

Is it something that you think could be right for me? Thanks!

I've not had much experience with the deamon in a strat, though my friend did have one in his Floyd equipped Jackson Dinky. It sounded kind of thin and harsh in that particular guitar, though how much was the pickup and how much was the guitar, I can't say.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks Benjy.

OK....I think I've finally made up my mind. I spoke to my guitar tech today who is VERY familar with what I like and knows Duncan pups. So, some of my initial thoughs have been confirmed.

HH - '59 Neck / JB Trembucker

SSH - '59 Trembucker

I think I'll play it safe and go this route. I appreciate all your help. Thank you!
          Last edited by Troy T. Blues; 08-17-2004, 12:48 PM.
          Guitars:
          1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
          '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
          '66 Fender Super Reverb
          '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
          Fulltone Fulldrive 2
          Teese Picture Wah
          MJM Blues Devil
          Bad Bob Boost

Comment

Troy,
            sorry for jumping in on the end here ...

I haven't tried any full HBs in a strat, so I can't comment on that; however, I have an SSL-3 in the bridge of one of my Warmoth strats, and I love that pickup, and I've recommended it several times here.

I find that the output rivals an hb, but it's warm and sustains great, and retains the traditional strat look

I made a few raw clips here:
            SSL-3 clips

honestly, I'm not trying to confuse the issue - I agree that no single sized hb is the same as a full sized ... just something to keep in mind for the future. This pickup was recommended to me when I asked a local builder what he liked in a strat, and he told me, "APS neck, SSL mid, and SSL-3 bridge". He was right - it cures that weak bridge syndrome that strats have!

Peace
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Ponder this...I hated a C5 in my strat...How about the CC with your split tones being 7k...Nice warm rich singing bridge lead tones...

I Use a Scremon Demon in the bridge of one of my alder/maple strats and love it also,though it's 5k split tones are a bit thin...The JB and the CC have the best split tones you're gonna get out of a fullsized humbucker...You need to stay at 10k or above in order to get some balls from your split tones...The 59 is a great all around pickup and covers alot of ground,but it's split tones are weak and anemic...Welcome aboard...

John
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Curly, that would be the perfect pup for me...However, it would be noisy in my higher gain applications, etc...I want a hummer for the fatness, gain and no hum.

I think I'm sticking with my previous post. I think it's a good solid decision and I don't think I can go wrong with those choices.
                Guitars:
                1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
                '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
                '66 Fender Super Reverb