banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceramic Magnets or Alnico Magnets? WHich do you prefer and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Magnets or Alnico Magnets? WHich do you prefer and Why?

Which do you prefer and why? Ceramic magnets or Alnico magnets?

Rudy D.
    Ceramic Magnet
    25.00%
    Alnico Magnet
    75.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Ceramic Magnets or Alnico Magnets? WHich do you prefer and Why?

Because i find them warmer and smoother.

I am however a mainly rock/jazz/blues player. So im not into the heaviest of metal stuff.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

i like the tone of an alnico magnet in a pickup much more then the tone of the ceramic magnets. I know the ceramics can have a higher output but i don't need it for the sounds i like to get plus i really dislike the harsher high end that is typical of ceramic magnets.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I love high gain and I think alnico magnets have the warmth and smoothness to keep things from getting shrill. Ceramics have more bite?

I did an experiment once, I took my '59n and swapped the A5 out for a ceramic magnet, it got a lot more crunchy under gain but also a lot more bland/flat/cold sounding. I wanted the smoothness and the crunch so I stuck 2 ceramic magnets under the baseplate. Result: pretty good! Smooth crunch! Still great cleans.
        Last edited by Nightburst; 08-16-2004, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I'd say either. Whatever works for the sound you're looking for. I like high gain as well. (lots of metal etc.) But I've kind of moved away from ceramic magnets as I too wanted a bit more warmth in my tone. I use a BBQ and it sounds great under high gain. Its really subjective.

Comment

I think Alnico amags are alot smoother less harsh, can get aggressive when needed, more dynamics and more versatile, ceramics just have a hard cold quality suitable for more moderate to high gain styles which can be a good thing, but I like to go clean and warm once in a while and with ceramics i find that i cant back off.
            Last edited by Dills; 08-16-2004, 03:24 PM.
            PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
            1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
            Blackstar HT-5
            2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
            Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I was a ceramic user then discovered the open tone of alnicos. Now I'm discovering low output ceramics. But I'd say alnicos for the moment.

Comment

For the most part, I like Alnico magnets and specifically Alnico 2 and Alnico 3. Of course, the wiring, woods, weight, and other factors play a vital part as well.
                -Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

I prefer alnico. Ceramics are a bit too shrill for my liking. Although ceramics and alnico both sound a bit smoother than active EMGs. Just my .02.

Butch - Your bulldogs are awesome. And the puppies are really cute. Congrats on your new litter. How old are they? Are you finding good homes?
                  It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                  - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                    Butch - Your bulldogs are awesome. And the puppies are really cute. Congrats on your new litter. How old are they? Are you finding good homes?
                    Thanks!! They are 5 weeks old today and yes they are finding great homes. On e is ours. My wife screens everyone else.
                    -Butch Snyder
                    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

I absolutely love the distortion tones of the ceramic SH-5 Custom, but I had to vote Alnico - vintage style Alnico pups give me all the tones I need across the board from clean to dirty.

Comment

Alnico 5 is what my ears tend to prefer. Big, tight lows, neutral mids, and airy, present highs. I like Alnico II only in bright guitars.

Ceramic? Only if it fits the guitar. I voted Alnico
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I didn't vote. I don't care what sort of magnet the pickup uses, as long as it sounds good.
                          This machine kills fascists

Comment

I prefer Alnico II's for the most part but A5's work real well in some guitars for me as well. Oddly enough my fav is a ceramic in my SD SP-90-3 but nothing else I've used with a ceramic comes close except maybe the Invader when running flat out.

I voted Alnico since they are the bulk of my pup mags.
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I think both magnets can be good for different things....but I really do love the crunch you can get from a ceramic. So that is where my vote goes

Comment

Working...
                              X