Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Question

Okay, so I got a tele off ebay last year to use as an experimental guitar, and I've kind of settled into something I really like. It's basically a standard H/S/S configuration with a 5-way switch, except both S's are in the neck position - looks like I have a standard humbucker in there, but it's actually just two single coils (one single coil is rw/rp). This gives me a nice hum-cancelling neck position when both are on, but I'd like a little more versatility (since positions 3,4,5 sound identical, except for the fact that 4 has no hum) My first question is this...I already have a push/pull pot in the mix that isn't being used (from one of my other "experiments") and I was thinking about wiring the two single coils to a series mod. Would this turn them into a humbucker when activated, or would it just sound weird? If this kind of thing would give me the result I'm looking for, would it be possible to just incorporate this wiring into a standard 5-way switch?
    Thanks for any help guys!

Re: Wiring Question

Hey Mojoe; didn't want you to think you were being ignored. I'm a little behind right now, owe a couple drawings to other folks, but if no one else gets to this, I'll take a shot at it.

Comment

boreddddddddddd

Comment

Originally posted by Chi3f
        I'm working on it . . . I'm working on it.

Comment

lol that was fast artie i didn't think you'd see that for atleast another half hour
          boreddddddddddd

Comment

lol, thanks guys!

Comment

mojoe if i have time later i will try to make up something
              Last edited by Chi3f; 08-17-2004, 07:13 AM.
              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Would this work for what I want? It says it only works with bridge neck or bridge middle, but I'm assuming it would work with neck/mid as well, cause...as far as I know, there would be no difference there (ie, still a regular pickup and a rw/rp pickup)

Comment

It would work with the neck and middle only when you had the middle selected by the 5-way. As long as you don't mind that, then yes, it would work.

Edit: As I look at it closer, I believe it work in both the "middle" and "bridge/middle" positions.
                  You try it out. Then come tell us.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-17-2004, 04:37 PM.

Comment

lol, good plan!

but back to the other question i had, if this does turn out to work, would there be any way i could just make this a part of the 5-way without the extra push/pull? ie, i'd like to be able to just switch to it in one motion, not have to switch pickups then pull a knob out. If there were any way it could be like...bridge, bridge/middle, middle, middle/neck in series, neck....anything at all like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe01
                      lol, good plan!

but back to the other question i had, if this does turn out to work, would there be any way i could just make this a part of the 5-way without the extra push/pull? ie, i'd like to be able to just switch to it in one motion, not have to switch pickups then pull a knob out. If there were any way it could be like...bridge, bridge/middle, middle, middle/neck in series, neck....anything at all like that?
                      Hmmm . . . possibly, probably not. But don't take that as gospel just yet. I'll have to look it over. But I must finish Chi3f's and anothers drawing first.

Comment

no problem, i'm in absolutely no rush at all

Comment

Alright, all finished. Well, it works! I'm just happy that I took crap apart and put them back together, and it still operates. It's not exactly what I was expecting, but I do like it. Its pretty bassy, as it's two single coils in the neck position used in series. It doesn't sound that great clean, but sounds very nice under distortion. I'm definitely satisfied.

Two problems, however. First, I had originally intended to use that push/pull as on on/off switch for a middle pickup that I plan on putting in sometime in the future. For thos who have been keeping count up to this point, yes...that would give me 4 different pickups. I'd actually have the guitar wired in normal HSS 5-way configuration, and then make the second neck single coil be used with the on/off switch. Now I'll have to switch out the volume pot for one with a push/pull. Oh well.
                          The second problem is...as I stated earlier, this has been my experimental guitar, so all the parts have been used, reused, and reused some more, so...they're probably getting pretty crappy by this point. Before I put the control plate back in, I plugged it in and tested everything, and it all worked, but I kept getting a huge volume loss at certain points, that would go away by simply tapping the volume knob. Well, now that the control plate is back on, the problem has gone away, but I have a feeling it'll be back soon. It's probably just a result of the overused parts, so once I get her how I like her, I'll upgrade her guts.

Comment

AND! I'll try to get some pictures of her up soon, and of my other gear.

Also, my friend just recently got some recording software, so maybe he and I can figure out how to record stuff and I can post some clips of her different sounds.

In retrospect, this has been a pretty fun project thus far. I now basically have the opposite of the norm... rather than having a great humbucker that can do some cheesy single coil sounds, I have a great single coil that does a cheesy humbucker

Comment

Working...
                            X