Hot/Ground backwards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot/Ground backwards?

I have a guitar in my shop that sounds fine, but the hot/ground are backwards from the SD schematics. They're both PGs, so I don't think it'll hurt (both wired the same).
    White/Red tied together. Black to Ground, Green to Pot lead.
    Any problems or sound differences I should know about?
    I don't see a reason to heat up my iron.
    THANKS!
    Last edited by Back@It; 08-16-2004, 09:46 PM. Reason: Added subscribe w/notification

Re: Hot/Ground backwards?

Originally posted by Back@It
    I have a guitar in my shop that sounds fine, but the hot/ground are backwards from the SD schematics. They're both PGs, so I don't think it'll hurt (both wired the same).
    White/Red tied together. Black to Ground, Green to Pot lead.
    Any problems or sound differences I should know about?
    I don't see a reason to heat up my iron.
    THANKS!
    There isn't any, you can reverse phase pups, and as long as the other is reversed also (which it is in theis case) it doesn't matter (the bare drain wire ALWAYS goes to ground though;without exception), you can also use the red and white has hot and ground, and the black and green as the series link as well ... The pup doesn't care ...It's perfectly fine.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

However, with a pup wired backwards, watch out for those demonic messages that will creep into your riffs.

Comment

Cool guys! Thanks, that's what I thought. Just didn't want to miss something.

Comment

I can think of one reason but I don't know if this would be the case. If you want to split a humbucker and you follow the standard schematic then you will get the stud coil when you split (kills the screw one). If you reverse the hot and ground conections without changing anything else then you'll kill the stud coil and you'll get the screw one.

But I don't know if this guitar even has a split selector...

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
            I can think of one reason but I don't know if this would be the case. If you want to split a humbucker and you follow the standard schematic then you will get the stud coil when you split (kills the screw one). If you reverse the hot and ground conections without changing anything else then you'll kill the stud coil and you'll get the screw one.

But I don't know if this guitar even has a split selector...
            True, but you still reversed the phase ... you can also get the other coil but keeping the phase the same (keeping the starts and finishes with the same hot and cold designations), but tapping from the other side of the coils.
            Or you can also use a hot tap instead of the ground tap that you referenced here, in the original wiring ... Either way the phase will remain the same.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
            X