coil splitting or series/parallel switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil splitting or series/parallel switching

Hey guys, which of those results in less of a volume drop...a typical coil split, or switching a pickup from series to parallel wiring? Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: coil splitting or series/parallel switching

Parallel will give you about 1/3 volume of series without hum..
    Split gives you single coil tone with hum..This tone is fatter than the parallel tone also.

If you go with a DPDT on/on/on mini switch(Like I do) You can have series/split/parallel...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks John. If you want to shut off the slug coil when coil splitting, can you reverse the hot and ground wires on both pickups? I think splitting to the outside coils might be a better idea than splitting to the inside coils.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
        I think splitting to the outside coils might be a better idea than splitting to the inside coils.

Ryan
        On that I don't agree. I think the slug coil sounds more "strat" instead of the screw coil, especially in the bridge.

Not that I am a big fan of splitting and all. All my 4c SD's have the red and white soldered together and taped. I am a big fan of 2vol 2tone wiring instead of splitting. But then again Kent gave me a diagram that does it all, I mean you can split, and get the two buckers outa phase and still have 2 tone 2 vol wiring. Pagey kinda wiring with a little Greeney touch!

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Slugs are nicer in my opinion and yes, you can do it all with on/on/on switches or go series/ split with push pulls. The splits are more "stratty" and the parallels are more 335.

Comment

In that case, I'll leave it as is. Thanks guys.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
            X