Ash vs. Alder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash vs. Alder

very simple, what are the different sounds can a person get out of each.

Re: Ash vs. Alder

Swamp ash is "normally" lighter and has a snappy,percussive tone with great note clarity...Northern ash is heavy also and sounds different from swamp ash..

Alder is either light or heavy as heck and has a darker,warmer tone..Alot depends on the weight and density of the woods and this is a very subjective area...

Go to www.warmoth.com and see what they say...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by presa_tito
        Nice link....Bird needs to use his "Search Engine" a bit too....LOL
        Too many questions all at once! What's the limit for a newbie on the amount of questions he can ask while on probation?

Just kidding Bird...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird
          THIS!!!

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by presa_tito
            That was an outstanding link. I was particularly surprised to see the author list basswood as their favorite tonewood.

Pleasantly surprised, I might add, since my new Peavey Gen is made of basswood.

Comment

You might want to take that guy with a grain of salt. I've had that site bookmarked for a while now, and it's pretty cheesey for the most part. The best part of the site is all the chicks with guitar pics.

I do have to admit that his site gave me more info on my Alvarez Dana Scoop than I ever could have found on my own...cheesy none the less. Check out the main page.

My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                You might want to take that guy with a grain of salt. I've had that site bookmarked for a while now, and it's pretty cheesey for the most part.
                So what are you saying . . . my $166 Peavey isn't the best guitar money can buy?

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                The best part of the site is all the chicks with guitar pics.
                Been there, done that.
                Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-17-2004, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  So what are you saying . . . my $166 Peavey isn't the best guitar money can buy?

Been there, done that.
                  Artie....Other than basswood being easy to dent and damage and harder to paint over,basswood is a great tone wood...Warm and smooth sounding...Maybe not as articulate as ash but it's pretty close to alder...People call basswood "Japanese Alder" because it's very plentiful in Japan I guess? I have a MIJ Tele and a MIJ Strat that are both basswood and other than both being lighter,they both sound really great..It's the things that you add to the body that make up the total sound...Pickups,hardware,tuners,frets,strings,etc. ..Ya know?

John

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait for some of the p'ups I ordered to get here. I'm curious to see how this thing reacts to various combo's.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird
                      To be honest, I believe the differences in tone between ash and alder are all but non-existant. Way too many factors must be considered when looking at wood. Pickups, bridges, saddles, pots, wire-type and even cables, amps, speakers, picks, and strings. You'll find more differences in these things than in wood type. I doubt if these folks that claim a big difference in tone between wood types are using guitars with all the same electronics. That is the only way to scientifically determine this question
                      Its up to you not to heed the call-up

Comment

Originally posted by dogcityrocker
                        To be honest, I believe the differences in tone between ash and alder are all but non-existant. Way too many factors must be considered when looking at wood. Pickups, bridges, saddles, pots, wire-type and even cables, amps, speakers, picks, and strings. You'll find more differences in these things than in wood type. I doubt if these folks that claim a big difference in tone between wood types are using guitars with all the same electronics. That is the only way to scientifically determine this question
                        Dude, you are questioning folks like me saying that there is a difference but you do not check the links we provide. That's not fair. Check my thread (the link is given above) and hear it for yourself!

B
                        Last edited by dr.barlo; 08-18-2004, 06:04 AM.
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                          Dude, you are questioning folks like me saying that there is a difference but you do not check the links we provide. That's not fair. Check my thread (the link is given above) and hear it for yourself!

B
                          Indeed there is a difference between ash and alder...

Comment

Working...
                          X