string height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string height

does the string height(how high your strings are off the fret board and pups) matter a lot to the tone of your git box

Re: string height

Yes.....

go to www.mrgearhead.com for your many questions..

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

how so?

Comment

Originally posted by Bird
        how so?
        Guess you aren't going to give up that easy huh?

The higher the strings,the more string vibration and less note choking over the frets...less chance for string buzzing...Notes are harder to fret due to "physics" and the strings being higher off the frets..

Lower string heights makes it easier to do fast note passages,easier to press notes down,the tone isn't as articulate as the strings are closer to the fretboard...

Guess why most acoustics have higher action?
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Here's a little visual that might help. If the blue is the magnetic field, string "A" is in a weaker portion than is string "B".

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Here's a little visual that might help. If the blue is the magnetic field, string "A" is in a weaker portion than is string "B".

Artie....You can raise the pickup height,but I've read where players say their overall tone is better because of the height of the strings off the fretboard...Acoustics have higher action or string heights,as I believe the strings up higher makes the tone better and you don't fight with physics to where low strings cause buzzing and duller sounding notes....

John

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              Artie....You can raise the pickup height,but I've read where players say their overall tone is better because of the height of the strings off the fretboard...Acoustics have higher action or string heights,as I believe the strings up higher makes the tone better and you don't fight with physics to where low strings cause buzzing and duller sounding notes....

John
              Hmmm . . . I'll have to experiment a little with that. More stuff to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                Hmmm . . . I'll have to experiment a little with that. More stuff to learn.
                I'm guessing that it's an important factor in tone,otherwise acoustic actions would be alot lower? There isn't the need to play up in the high registers on the acoustic and so the action is higher...I'm talking about the good ole fashion Martin acoustic though,and not the Stratacoustic...

Comment

Working...
                X