No announcement yet.

Does a C5 and PG sound good when split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a C5 and PG sound good when split?

Hey guys.

I'm having a Gordon Smith Les Paul made in the next few months and plan to use a Custom5 in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck.

I was just wondering what these pickups sound like when split? Are the tones usuable, or do they sound thin etc?

Thanx for any info guys.

Craig

Re: Does a C5 and PG sound good when split?

Anyone have an opinion at all?

Comment

The C5 will sound probably better than the pg since it's higher output.

I think the split option is most useful for clean sounds, so if you feel you might use that, then go for it!
      There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

THE PG is pretty thin and anemic split...The CC sounds pretty convincing split,but will never sound like an actual single coil strat pickup...The C5 should sound good split,though it's not one of my favorite pickups,as I Like the A2 in the CC over the A5 of the C5...YMMV?

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

They both sound good split but I prefer them split and both selected. The LP that I have the C-5/PGn in splits to the south coil of the C-5 and the north coil of the PGn so they are hum cancelling when split and used together.

Killer notched tone.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

well, I can tell you the Custom sounds like a Tele bridge pup when split, really quite biteing but clean, so I'm guessing the C5 would sound a little more tame.
            ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Thanx for the replies.

When Gordon Smith guitars come wired from the factory with push/pull pots for coil split, so as I'm sending him the C5 and PG sups to put in my guitar, I thought I might as well have the coil tap option as well (providing the pps sound good when split anyway)

Thanx again for the replies.

Craig

Comment

My Goldtop has a C-5/59 with pullup tones for splitting. Just like Robert, I like the notch pos. sound, and the single coil neck. I have a feeling that the 59 split would sound fuller than the PG split. The Jazz neck would split nice too.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanx for the post Gearjoneser

There's a chance I may swap out the PG for a Jazz at some point (I already have a PG in another LP), but thought I'd give the PG a chance 1st

I'll try and ask for the coil taps to split to the outer coil of the pups if it's the general consensus that it sounds better

Craig

Comment

I like the PG split in a LP, even at the bridge, though the prettiest sound is in the middle position.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I noticed on Robert's post that his middle position is hum cancelling.
                      On McCarties, since they split their pickups, the bridge pickup has it's magnet turned around. My question is "will a pair of split pickups be quieter if one of them has their magnet turned around 180 degrees? I ask this because my LP with coil splitting seems to be noisier than my Pauls without splitting. Not terribly noisy, but a little.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                        I noticed on Robert's post that his middle position is hum cancelling.
                        On McCarties, since they split their pickups, the bridge pickup has it's magnet turned around. My question is "will a pair of split pickups be quieter if one of them has their magnet turned around 180 degrees? I ask this because my LP with coil splitting seems to be noisier than my Pauls without splitting. Not terribly noisy, but a little.

Mine is humcancelling when split in the middle too. I didn't flip the mag on mine though, I just split one with the north coil and one on the south.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                        X