Hotrail sounding humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotrail sounding humbucker?

Hey guys....first post, and I need a ton of help...

Basically, I really, really love the hotrails neck pickup tone for soloing, a la dave murray of iron maiden - basically that flute-like quality.
    However, I've found most guitars I like playing are in a HH configuration...and I'd like to know if any of you know of a (preferably Duncan) humbucker that could provide a hotrail tone? I'd have a JB in the bridge. I would be replacing pickups.

Also, as a slight 'replacement novice' could i replace emg's with passive duncans, cutting out the 9volt. The guitar in question would be an esp mh400

Any help'd be much appreciated...

Re: Hotrail sounding humbucker?

welcome to the forum. I've heard the Invader is close to the Hotrail but dunno if this is right for the neck too
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Thanks...I'm not sure also, I don't know too much about pickups, but I've read the tone sheets and everything...I heard someone say a jazz might work?

Comment

The Jazz is nowhere near as hot as the Hot Rails. While it is a fine neck pickup, to get the tone of a Hot Rails, you're going to need to have a hotter pickup in the neck. I've heard really good things about the Distortion neck. I'll be putting one of those in my next H/H guitar to try it out as well.
        Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

A Gibson 496R is a hot ceramic humbucker for the neck that has a warm but powerful tone. I kind of like that tone better than the 500T in the bridge of my SG. Check around.

Comment

you could get one of these

lets you put a single coil in a humbucker sized space.

or a lil' humbucker in the place of a full sized one.

Comment

Power dude,

Welcome to the forum!
              Being a great Maiden fan myself, I'd tell you to consider the '59n. Dont forget that Dave used PAF-style pickups in the neck slot of every strat he played during the 80 (they were Dimarzio PAF at the time). And also, the first album was recorded with PAFs in a H/H Strat.

Dave has a particular technique to achieve those sweet soloing tones, a good neck HB really helps, but the secret is in his technique.

The closest thing to a Hotrail-neck would be an Invader-neck. But a good ol' '59n will do the job. Also, if your guitare has EMG in there, you'll have to replace the vol/tone pots too.
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

thanks for the support, guys....I'm gonna try out a 59n and an invader and see what happens..

Thames, thanks for the reminder man, I forgot all about the earlier non-hotrails days! Is the same Dimarzio available?

Comment

Hails POWERSLAVE....
                  A duncan distortion should give you the tone you are searching for...
                  by the way... i would like to TRADE with you your hot rails neck.
                  are you interested? if yes... pease, PM me ok?
                  Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                  Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                  Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                  Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                  Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                  Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                  Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                  Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Sorry dude, I have'nt GOT a Hotail, I just wanted to see what could sound like it...
                    and I think I'm set on a 59n, although I haven't tried an invader neck, the 59 sounded great and got me the exact tone i wanted!
                    So thank's for the help guys...I'd always assumed the 59 to be a real vintage think but I was really surprised. So thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
                      Power dude,

Welcome to the forum!
                      Being a great Maiden fan myself, I'd tell you to consider the '59n. Dont forget that Dave used PAF-style pickups in the neck slot of every strat he played during the 80 (they were Dimarzio PAF at the time). And also, the first album was recorded with PAFs in a H/H Strat.

Dave has a particular technique to achieve those sweet soloing tones, a good neck HB really helps, but the secret is in his technique.

The closest thing to a Hotrail-neck would be an Invader-neck. But a good ol' '59n will do the job. Also, if your guitare has EMG in there, you'll have to replace the vol/tone pots too.
                      +1
                      the '59 nails it perfectly. but you got to develop the fluid technique yourself.

and you will have to replace the pots and the output jack also i believe

Comment

Working...
                      X