not duncan but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not duncan but....

does anyone have experiance with the dimarzio fred in the bridge of a les paul??

Re: not duncan but....

Originally posted by ultimatum79
    does anyone have experiance with the dimarzio fred in the bridge of a les paul??
    Ducking under chairs and things now to keep from getting flamed...LOL

I Love this pickup and currently have one in my Gibson SG bridge position...I Put a nickel cover on mine and replaced one row of allen screws with a row of nickel screws...In my SG this pickup is perfect for my blues/classic rock styles...Very articulate,cleans up nice,has just enough mids to help the SG cut better without the mids being too upfront,nice mixture between the lows and highs...Great harmonics because of mismatched coils...This is also the reason this pickup remains tight and articulate..Just a great pickup and it's the only Dimarzio I've ever used...

In a strat it does the same thing,except I split it and run it in parallel with the series tones...I actually like the split tones..This pickup reminds me of the Scremon Demon that I have in yet another strat in it's vibe...Both are A5 magnet and in the 10k range...Both are great pickups and very close in tone and crunch..

I've not tryed this pickup in my Les Paul,but I get the feeling it would be great in that guitar also,simply because I Like the way this pickup sounds and the way it's EQ'd.....Dimarzio got this one right in my opinion..

I'm pretty much a duncan user only,but I've been using the Fred pickup in the bridge position of my guitars since it's inception several years ago...I currently own 2 Fred pickups...

John
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-19-2004, 08:39 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

thanks a lot for the info. duncans are my first choice...but i cant seem to find anything that gives me what i want for a bridge and 2 of my top 3 fav guitar players use dimarzio..paul gilbert and satriani, also the the fred's descripition says how it reacts really well with different pick attacks like hard picking hard sound soft picking soft sound. whats your opinion on how well that works?

Comment

thanks a lot for the info. duncans are my first choice...but i cant seem to find anything that gives me what i want for a bridge and 2 of my top 3 fav guitar players use dimarzio..paul gilbert and satriani, also the the fred's descripition says how it reacts really well with different pick attacks like hard picking hard sound soft picking soft sound. whats your opinion on how well that works?
        I agree with those statements...It has to do with the unbalanced coil bobbins...Don't overlook the Scremon Demon...It is very very close overall to the Fred...I always felt the Duncan pickups were built better though,still do..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          I agree with those statements...It has to do with the unbalanced coil bobbins...Don't overlook the Scremon Demon...It is very very close overall to the Fred...I always felt the Duncan pickups were built better though,still do..

John
          yea i have heard a lot of people say that dimarzio's are cheaply made...i just need something in the bridge with more egde than the JB that i already have just doesnt do anything for me in les paul. since my main style is hardrock....oops kinda got off topic so my best bet would be to stick with duncans

Comment

yea i have heard a lot of people say that dimarzio's are cheaply made...i just need something in the bridge with more egde than the JB that i already have just doesnt do anything for me in les paul. since my main style is hardrock....oops kinda got off topic so my best bet would be to stick with duncans
            i would go with a pearly gates for the les paul

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
              i would go with a pearly gates for the les paul
              Yes...Keep it Duncan...The PG or the Scremon Demon are both great pickups...I have em both,though I Much prefer the PG in a Les Paul..The SD with an A2 magnet is pretty cool also and gives you 10k over the 8k or so of the PG...Not that the PG lacks anything as it is..

john
              Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-20-2004, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                Yes...Keep it Duncan...The PG or the Scremon Demon are both great pickups...I have em both,though I Much prefer the PG in a Les Paul..The SD with an A2 magnet is pretty cool also and gives you 10k over the 8k or so of the PG...Not that the PG lacks anything as it is..

john
                thanks guys the PG was what i was learning towards in the first place. now ive been reasured and im going with PG.

Comment

thanks guys the PG was what i was learning towards in the first place. now ive been reasured and im going with PG.

You'll love the PG...Everyone else does also..

Comment

it is not that dimarzio's are bad or anything but it seems to me that the duncan stuff just has a more "real tone"?
                    like the PG vs fred they are quite different form one another but the the PG has the better tone of the two.
                    the fred i like when satch uses it,he gets a real good tone from his but i could never get my tone with a fred

Comment

I went from a JB to a PG in my Paul and it opened up the sound considerably. You're going to get more air and growl out of the bridgeand some very nice clean tones. You will lose some output, but not as much as you might think.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                        I went from a JB to a PG in my Paul and it opened up the sound considerably. You're going to get more air and growl out of the bridgeand some very nice clean tones. You will lose some output, but not as much as you might think.
                        thats exactly what im looking to do to open up the sound im going to be ordering a PG within the next week...thanks for the input guys

Comment

Working...
                        X