No announcement yet.

how to wire active emgs with passives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to wire active emgs with passives?

I want to install the emg85 on the bridge of one of my fender strats but i want to keep the two passive single coils for the mid and neck position.What i would like to know is what exactly do i need for this operation(do i need a new output jack and how many 25k pots are needed.....will the passives work allright with them???)I was wondering if using the 25k tone pot for the emg85 at the bridge and the normal 250k pots for the two singles would be ok but what happens with the master volume?What i do not want to happen is that the use of the emg85 interferes with the tone of the 2 singles.Is there a way to do this modification?

Re: how to wire active emgs with passives?

Use a 25K EMG pot with 100n capacitor in the tone circuit assigned to EMG, and assign the singles pu´s to the other (250K). Use the original master volume pot (250K) and put a 27K resistor paralelled between the hot and ground in the EMG for emulate the 25K suggested value in combination with the 250K pot. This maintais 250K value for the singles and 24.3K for the EMG. This is the system.
    The original tone in second position is lost, but you can connect the singles pu´s out of phase with respect to the EMG to obtain an interesting sound (thinner than the one of the first position and good for rythmn with overdrive). Good luck!

Comment

I have heard it is quite difficult...

why take away the strat sound with EMG?
      But since you have more than one it's quite okay...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino
        Use a 25K EMG pot with 100n capacitor in the tone circuit assigned to EMG, and assign the singles pu´s to the other (250K). Use the original master volume pot (250K) and put a 27K resistor paralelled between the hot and ground in the EMG for emulate the 25K suggested value in combination with the 250K pot. This maintais 250K value for the singles and 24.3K for the EMG. This is the system.
        The original tone in second position is lost, but you can connect the singles pu´s out of phase with respect to the EMG to obtain an interesting sound (thinner than the one of the first position and good for rythmn with overdrive). Good luck!
        Thank you that was very useful.....i'll try it

Comment

Working...
        X