C5 Vs Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C5 Vs Custom

I'm a bit unsure which of these to choose...

I play mainly hard rock and metal, with some punk. For my guitar, I have a custom wound seth lover in the neck, which I love. It's perfect for when I want beautiful soloing tone like Gary Moore.

However, I've found that I don't like a2 magnet pups at the bridge. I'm thinking that either the c5 or the custom would suit what I'm looking for.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the custom, since it would probably be best for Metallica-like solos. Also, in the clips I've heard of the c5, it sounds kinda 'nasally' and 'whiney', which I didn't like very much.

What do you suggest, and remember, no a2 pups! Thanks for the help.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Re: C5 Vs Custom

Which guitar is it going into? Body type, wood?

The C5 will have slightly more of a vintage flavor as compared to the Custom. The C5 has great lows, nice crisp highs, and balanced mids. Some hear the C5 as scooped in the mids, but I think it's just because the highs and lows are so well defined.

The Custom is more agressive, and some say in certain guitars it can be very icepicky in the highs....that's why I ask what type of guitar.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

OK, well it'll be a guitar with:

Korina body
      Quilt maple top
      Korina neck
      Ebony fretboard

And it's a PRS type body.

Comment

Korina = Nice tonewood, kinda fat sounding
        Quilt Maple = Brighten up the tone
        Korina Neck = Warm and Fat
        Ebony Board = More Bright
        PRS Body Style = Not as thick as LP, but better than strat.

Overall I'd say go with the Custom. It sounds like for what you want tonewise, this will be the best. Annother option would be the Distortion....it will be crunchier and thicker, but you'll sacrifice some clean tones. If you don't like the Custom, you can always just swap the mag and make it a C5...that's any easy fix.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

I usually say C-5, but a maple top and ebony board may bring out it's high end, too much. I'm going to make an educated guess that a JB/Seth would make a great combo in your guitar. I have a LP with a Seth neck I love, along with a C-5. Next week, I'm putting a CC next to that Seth. We'll see! Sometimes, I try a C-5, CC, Custom, and JB in my main guitar, just to see which is 'dialed in.' I have a feeling your guitar may be a tad bright for C-5 or Custom. I'd try JB and CC first, since an ebony board can inject clarity into those two without being too bright.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Any other opinions?

Comment

I don't know about that because both of my guitars with ebony boards are darker than my rosewood fretboarded guitars. The guitar itself plays a MUCH larger role than justthe fretboard material.

Comment

I like the CC and the Custom (in that order). I don't much care for the C5, though. It feels like it doesn't "push" as hard as the other two Custom's.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I say get a Custom and try changing magnets.

EVERY guitar sounds different. 2 exact LP's can sound different even if they are made from the same tree so you cant rely on what tone a piece of wood "should" sound like.

Comment

Any guitar with an ebony fingerboard has been snappier and brighter than it's rosewood counterpart.

Comment

I'd say, get a CC, even tho it's A-2. If it sounds too dark for your taste, either swap magnets to a Ceramic, or just trade it for a Custom or JB. One of those 3 are pickups you'll like.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I say a Custom.

I tried a C5 in my VIP (specs listed below) -- it's very similar to your construction, and I gound the C5 too bright. In that case, I went with a CC (never tried tried a Custom, as it had found a firm home in my mahogany strat)....

Having said that, I also tried a C5 in my mahogany strat (specs also listed below), and I also found the C5 too bright in that guitar, but the Custom was perfect. So...extrapolating from my mahoganys strat, I'd say the Custom is closer to what you're looking for.
                        This machine kills fascists

Comment

I have to agree with that. I've been pimping the Custom Custom lately, but I think it's an outstanding pickup (plenty of output, even for an A2 pup). I can tell you from personal experience that it handles hard rock tones, no problem. (Metal, not QUITE .. but damn close. Keep in mind my amp isn't really dialed into a "metal" sound, though. )

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          I'd say, get a CC, even tho it's A-2. If it sounds too dark for your taste, either swap magnets to a Ceramic, or just trade it for a Custom or JB. One of those 3 are pickups you'll like.
                          -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                          I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!

My concern with a2 bridge pups is not with the brightness or darkness, but with the way they sound in general. The way they sound under gain doesn't please me... I get fed up of it quickly. I like something with more 'bite', although not too much. I find that a5 pups can sometimes sound too aggressive, too harsh with too much 'bite'... ceramic mags sound aggressive but don't bite as much IMO.... They can have problems with icepick highs though.

I'm still leaning towards the custom....

Comment

Working...
                            X