• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle single coil questions

Is it meant to be reverse wound?

Well either way, I don't know which to choose

It'd be going in a Mahog/maple strat, rosewood board maple neck

I want nice clean tones but it'll have to keep up with a bridge and neck humbucker to some extent.

I want a real single coil not a single sized HB
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: Middle single coil questions

Originally posted by nuntius
    Is it meant to be reverse wound?

Well either way, I don't know which to choose

It'd be going in a Mahog/maple strat, rosewood board maple neck

I want nice clean tones but it'll have to keep up with a bridge and neck humbucker to some extent.

I want a real single coil not a single sized HB
    Original middle position single coils in the early days were not RWRP...This trend started with the American STD series strats of the late 80s...You don't have to put the RWRP in the middle,but you will then have hum in all 5 positions...

Trivia...The 5 way switch wasn't offered until like the 1970 model year on a strat...Leo just didn't change it right away...There were no 5 way switches when fender created the first strat however...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Ok so if i want 2 and 4 to be hum cancelling i get it reverse wound

thanks john
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Ok so if i want 2 and 4 to be hum cancelling i get it reverse wound

thanks john
        Safe for me to say it this way...If you were to use 3 Duncan single coils,then you'd order the middle position RWRP...If you mix and match other brand pickups,then things can get scary with phase or polarity issues...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

so putting the middle coil in reverse polarity puts the guitar into humming?
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
            so putting the middle coil in reverse polarity puts the guitar into humming?
            If you buy a complete set of 3 single coil sets and you desire no hum in the 2nd and 4th positions,you order the middle pickup RWRP...

John

Comment

If you will not be splitting the humbuckers in the neck and bridge, a RW/RP single in the mid won't make much of a difference. If you will be splitting your 'buckers, then standard wind or RWRP might make a difference, depending ojn how you split the buckers.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Well in #2 and #4 the buckers wont be split - BUT im having coil taps so they can be..

do i still need reverse wound for that?
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Well in #2 and #4 the buckers wont be split - BUT im having coil taps so they can be..

Yeah, if you're having coil taps then I'd say you need a RWRP middle pup. I may be wrong though..........

Oh Nuntius, I just called John at GSG and got my LP on the build list. I get it by October Thanx for the hook up mate

Comment

Same here, mines due mid october I think (if I ever decide on pups that is lol)

If they're finished around the same time we should meet up, so I can have a go on that LP of yours

I doubt you'll like the neck on the strat I ordered though, its like a tree!
                    My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Actually, you need your humbuckers RW/RP in that case ...

The answer is with two HBs and a single coil it depends on what coils you choose to have active during the splits when they get combined with the middle coil. When the HBs aren't split, well a single combined will still hum ...

My vote would be to go for a hum-cancelling single. But if you want that split bucker type tone in the 2 & 4 positions (as opposed to full HB combined with humcancelling single), then a classic stack could be split along a split HB in the 2 & 4 positions as well. That would still give you a hum free middle only position. Of course the HB's split by themselves would still hum. Plus the classic stacks output would be a bit better suited to HBs.
                      Bear in mind the classic stacks magnetic polarity is north, and you'd want to ground tap the red & white (black hot, green ground) so as to have the top coil active. That means you'd need a south coil active from the HB's when split (screw poles, outer coils), you'd hot tap the red and whites (black hot, green ground). If you wanted the slug poles active (inner coils) then you'd have to reverse the magnet on each HB, and use green hot, black ground, and use the same hot tap.
                      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Agh i dont understand that, give me an hour or so
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Agh i dont understand that, give me an hour or so
                          I accept no responsibility for reader's actually injured do to reading my posts ...
                          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                          X