recommended pickup height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommended pickup height?

Hey guys, After years of playing a Wolfgang with pickups that weren't height adjustable, I'm still getting used to the adjustable pickups on my Hamer. I seem to be getting a little too much treble and output from the BBQ/Alnico II pro pickup set, which is odd because those are both darker sounding pickups. What would be a good starting point to use as a distance from the strings? Originally, the nickel cover of the bridge pickup was slightly higher than the mounting ring (it's one of those thicker mounting rings.) The neck pickup is also slightly higher than the top of the mounting ring. When I play both guitars back to back through the same amp settings, adjusting only the EQ, the Hamer is much louder than the Wolfgang, and I get all sorts of unwanted overtones. I'm not talking about harmonics, but rather those annoying overtones that sound like pulloffs, only unintended ones. I've had the guitar for a few months now, but I had to wait for some parts that were on a lengthy backorder, so I'm just now getting around to giving it a complete setup. Measuring as best I can, the bridge pickup is about 1/8 of an inch from the strings. I backed it off a little bit, but it's a little too late right now for me to plug in and test it out, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Keeping in mind that the bridge pickup is medium output, the neck pickup is low output, and I like my action low but not too low, what is a good starting point for the pickup height? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: recommended pickup height?

id start at around 3/16" since i dont find many pups that sound great above that, but there are the exceptions of course.

my guess is the lower setting will be better. which pup do you use more? set that one first then set the other to be complimentary, ie. gets great tones at the same amp settings.

Comment

Ryan, check the SD and DMZ sites under FAQ they both say the same things regarding pup adjustments ... Something that may help ... I find that with humbuckers I like to slant the treble pup away from the treble strings, and slant the bass pup away from the bass strings (15 degrees maybe) and then adjust the pole pieces, I find this creates a complimentary balance of tones. This works better on pups with double rows of adjustable pole pieces, but still it has a marker effect on chords. If the height is 3/16" (for example) I don't go closer than that, I slant one side away, the difference being that if a pup is well below critical distance then I might raise one said and lower the other (the middle of the pup staying at the average distance. Something to play with, sounds like you HB are to close to me, back 'em away, and then if they are lacking bass ... tilt, if laking treble ... tilt, then adjust your polepieces.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
        id start at around 3/16" since i dont find many pups that sound great above that, but there are the exceptions of course.

my guess is the lower setting will be better. which pup do you use more? set that one first then set the other to be complimentary, ie. gets great tones at the same amp settings.
        Jeremy do you really set yours to around 3/16" or did you mean 3/32"? I usually set mine at around 3/32".

Comment

ryan, i found that is really is a matter of personal taste.
          as long as you do not set the pup too close to the strings there is NO wrong or right

Comment

you can always try the "nickel" approach ... put a nickel on the bridge pup under the high E string, fret at the last fret, adjust the pup until the nickel touches the bottom of the string ... then, stack two nickels under the low E string on the bridge pup and repeat .. if this produces an output that is too hot, you can back them off a touch

good luck
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
            X