To be or not to be (hollow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be or not to be (hollow)

If I get a hollow body without f-holes, what kind of sound difference could I expect between the hollow and solid of the same type?

The body is a PRS-type (warmoth VIP) (mahogany/maple cap)

Would the hollow work with hard rock?
    Also, most hollowbodies I've seen hacv HB Pups in them. Will it work just as wel with H-S-S config?

Thanx

Re: To be or not to be (hollow)

Originally posted by Cron
    If I get a hollow body without f-holes, what kind of sound difference could I expect between the hollow and solid of the same type?

The body is a PRS-type (warmoth VIP) (mahogany/maple cap)

Would the hollow work with hard rock?
    Also, most hollowbodies I've seen hacv HB Pups in them. Will it work just as wel with H-S-S config?

Thanx

A semi will work with single coils as well as humbuckers.I have a pair of Phat Cats in my Sheraton and they sound wonderful, as did the Seth Lovers I had in there. With a semi as opposed to a solid, you will have more mids and richer, ore pleasing (to my ears) highs than a comparable solid body. With a good set of pickups, yo will hear more of the body in the sound, which I really like. You will be able to play more subtle sounds, but still be able to hammer down when needed.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Check out old Incubus. Mike E (the guitarist ) used a PRS McCarty hollow body on the entire album.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
        Check out old Incubus. Mike E (the guitarist ) used a PRS McCarty hollow body on the entire album.
        Which album? there's a few, just wondering...
        "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

The old stuff, not the new album w/ the new bassist, but like when they first started out up until this new one.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Oh cool, I didn't realise they were hollow...
            "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
              Didn't he use a Fender Jaguar or Mustang or something like that? Or is that a recent thing?
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                Didn't he use a Fender Jaguar or Mustang or something like that? Or is that a recent thing?
                That's a recent development.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Another great guitarist to check out with a hollowbody guitar and Duncan pickups (59n and JBbridge I believe) is Trey Anastasio from Phish.

I have a Gibson "Johnny A" model thats hollow that I put those pups in and it sounds incredible.

Comment

Trey's stuff with Oysterhead is incredible!

Comment

Working...
                    X