250k or 500k pots w/spb-3 pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250k or 500k pots w/spb-3 pups?

Which pots (250k or 500k) would be the right ones to use with Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pounder pickups for bass? Aren't the 250k larger?
    Thanks!

Re: 250k or 500k pots w/spb-3 pups?

If you want the overwound punch in the mids, stick with the 250k pots. If you want less effect but a hotter and relatively balanced pickup then use the 500k or even 1M.
    BTW- 250k are not larger nor smaller than 500k or 1M.

Comment

What difference in the mids would putting a hotter pot in make?
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
        What difference in the mids would putting a hotter pot in make?
        The SPB-3 is a hotter pickup (compared to the SPB-1). The standard (or A-typical) pot found in a P-Bass is 250k and is the point at which a realisitic comparison can be made and one that would have been used when describing the differences in tone between a SPB-1,2 or 3 pickups.

Leaving the pot at 250k and installing a new SPB-3 will produce a tone that is richer in mids than his previous P-bass pickup (Under the assumption it is ' stock' type P-bass pickup). But installing a SPB-3 and swapping out the pots for a 500k or 1meg will brighten up the tone and balance it out more, all the while still producing more output.

The pot can't 'add' frequencies, but it will allow the pickup to respond differently by allowing more or less of the pickups tone to be heard.
        When there are less 'highs' present (lower value pot), the mids are more prevelant.

Hope to help.
        Last edited by Rodney; 08-22-2004, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks Rodney. I've played a 63 P for 25 yrs and swapped the stock pups out for EMG active long ago, so until lately I haven't done a lot of experimenting.
          However, the bass in question is an Austin (by Gretsch), fretless, with what I think are like the low output Vintage P series in it. It came with 500K pots. This is the one I'm putting the SPB-3's in. It has become my project bass.
          So, if I understand you correctly, the same pots with different pickups will be how I can make the most accurate comparison.
          Does having either 500K or 250K change the bass response?
          Thanks again, Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jerey
            Thanks Rodney. I've played a 63 P for 25 yrs and swapped the stock pups out for EMG active long ago, so until lately I haven't done a lot of experimenting.
            However, the bass in question is an Austin (by Gretsch), fretless, with what I think are like the low output Vintage P series in it. It came with 500K pots.
            Jim, I don't suspect the bass in question has low-output 'vintage' pickups in it if it is the same 'Austin' brand I think it is. I would guess it has 'vintage shape' pickups but with ceramics stuck underneath. The 500k pots are a dead giveaway of an asian factory made bass with ceramics magnets. Doesn't mean it sounds bad or good but it will not give you a fair assesment of what the bass could sound like with new pickups and 250k pots.

This is the one I'm putting the SPB-3's in. It has become my project bass.
            So, if I understand you correctly, the same pots with different pickups will be how I can make the most accurate comparison.
            Does having either 500K or 250K change the bass response?
            Thanks again, Jim
            That's right about the comparison. As for bass response, pickups make little difference when you swap out similiar strengths. If the new pickup (or old pickup) is really weak and the output is small, then you will notice a jump in bass response (and mids etc.). It will not be because a pickup has more 'bass' but the output level increases and that is a percieved increase in volume because there is an increase in all frequencies.

Passive pickups don't add or subrtact. Certian magnets however are more 'responsive' or 'tight' and can handle the lows more accurately. All in all it will come down to taste at the end of the day.

Hope to help.

Comment

Working...
            X