No announcement yet.

Hybrid 250k/500k pots on a superstrat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid 250k/500k pots on a superstrat?

Hi guys,

I'm going to change my strat to a HSS config and I'm having an issue of pot values.

I'm trying to keep my single coils on 250k's and the humbucker with 500k's.

Is there a Hybrid or push/pull 250k/500k pot? Or is there a better solution like a push button 250k to 500k boost?

Re: Hybrid 250k/500k pots on a superstrat?

Originally posted by inter
    Is there a Hybrid or push/pull 250k/500k pot?
    Yup, scroll down to part # EP 4585-000

Guitar Parts Resource

Your idea will work fine when you're using only the singles, or only the humbucker. But in position #2, (or is it #4), middle/bridge, you'll effectively have a 166.667k "load", or equivalent pot. Might muddy-up that position a bit.

Comment

Re: Hybrid 250k/500k pots on a superstrat?

Thanks ArtieToo,

I was planing on spliting the HB on the middle/bridge position and keeping the 'quack' sound.

I know with the tone pot on a strat that controls the neck/middle pups, I can turn down a 500k to give it a lower value, but I'd much prefer a simple on/off switch. Maybe it's my lack of multitasking skills , but the last thing I need is an approx. tone adjustment when I'm channel switching, turning on pedals, etc.

Do you know of a 500k pot that has a 'knotch' at the 250k value? Also, with all the pots changed to 500k's, do you think just turning down the neck/middle pup's tone knob will give me a 500k HB tone and true 250k(or close) single coil tone.

BTW, a compromise on sound middle/bridge position 'quack' is something I'll probably have accept, though I'd prefer not too .

Comment

Working...
      X