banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the differences between the CC, JB and the C5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the differences between the CC, JB and the C5?

What are the differences between the CC, JB and the C5 in terms of sound, magnets, resistance and output?

Rudy D.

Re: What are the differences between the CC, JB and the C5?

The CC has an alnico II magnet

The C5 and JB have alnico V magnets

And I'm crap at describing the way pickups sound so I'll let someone else do that.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

I was sort of wondering the difference between an AII JB and a CC? Sorry for hijacking this, but seems like a good place to get an answer on this.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the JB and so won't comment on it...

The CC is an A2 pickup..Has prominent mids..This pickup can be dark in some guitars(Especially mahogany Gibson LPs etc..) Has great sustain,smooth overall,nice clean tones..The mids dominate the lows and highs...

The C5 is an A5...Mids are scooped back a bit(still plenty of mids) lows appear to be more up front,as does the highs,tighter lows,tighter crunchier chords...Not as smooth nor as dark as the CC...Called the "59 On Steroids"

I Prefer the C5 in a darker guitar and the CC in a bright guitar..Strat's do nicely with a CC because this pickup tames the highs and adds some mids that some strat's bridge positions need,especially a Floyd Rose bridged strat...I didn't care for the CC in my Les Paul and always found myself needing more highend to cut..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The C5 sounds like a hotter 59 (vintage sound) with smoother highs and fatter bottom.
          The CC jumps out more with the mids. It's more agressive.
          The JB has similarities of the C5 and CC, but with it's own style. It's punchy and it screams. It's also a bit twangy when clean.
          The A2 JB sounds like a hotter CC until you solo on the higher strings. Then it sounds more compressed.

I have clips of all at my soundclick site
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
          X