First time post here a few questions about my SSL-1's and about Duncan 59s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time post here a few questions about my SSL-1's and about Duncan 59s

I have only spent time hanging around the Classifieds since there is plenty of areas for GAS there.

Anyway I have a few questions.

1) I have these SSL-1s that I picked up a few years ago. Someone who said he used to work at Duncan years ago said they were a prototype kinda thing with Robert Cray. They are supposed to be underwound SSL-1s The back of them are stamped "R CRAY SD 2 87"

Anybody have a set or know anything about them? I'll post some pics later.

2) What does a Duncan 59 split sound like? I got a set of these things and already sold the neck because I didn't thing I would use them after all. Now I am thinking maybe I should. I was going to throw them into my Telecaster Custom FMT which has a Black Canyon and Atomic II. They are nice sounding pickups IMO but the split tones are not that great. So I was now thinking, like an idiot, maybe the 59's would sound okay after all. Any experience with them split?

Thanks guys.

Re: First time post here a few questions about my SSL-1's and about Duncan 59s

Originally posted by davidd
    I have only spent time hanging around the Classifieds since there is plenty of areas for GAS there.

Anyway I have a few questions.

1) I have these SSL-1s that I picked up a few years ago. Someone who said he used to work at Duncan years ago said they were a prototype kinda thing with Robert Cray. They are supposed to be underwound SSL-1s The back of them are stamped "R CRAY SD 2 87"

Anybody have a set or know anything about them? I'll post some pics later.

2) What does a Duncan 59 split sound like? I got a set of these things and already sold the neck because I didn't thing I would use them after all. Now I am thinking maybe I should. I was going to throw them into my Telecaster Custom FMT which has a Black Canyon and Atomic II. They are nice sounding pickups IMO but the split tones are not that great. So I was now thinking, like an idiot, maybe the 59's would sound okay after all. Any experience with them split?

Thanks guys.

Welcome to our home...

The 59 split(Unless you were using it in the middle position with the other humbucker of a LP or SG) is kind of weak...Just my opinion..The 59 specs out at around 8k or a bit higher,so your split tone is only half those readings...It's doable,but like I said,thin and bright sounding...I can lower my volume on my guitar normally and get better results than splitting the 59...

I'm totally unfamiliar with the RC pickup you have,but the SSL1s are great pickups..Maybe you could give us the dc readings on yours and we can compare the specs to the SSL1 specs on the site?

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

DC Readings?

oh wait I though you said DC Readings...wait you did

Anywhoo I don't have the tools or talent for that one. I'll get some pics up soon.

As far as the Humbuckers split that is my beef with the other ones. I guess that is the same all the way around when it comes to splitting buckers. I think I'll leave the guitar alone then.

Comment

DC Readings?

oh wait I though you said DC Readings...wait you did

Anywhoo I don't have the tools or talent for that one. I'll get some pics up soon.

As far as the Humbuckers split that is my beef with the other ones. I guess that is the same all the way around when it comes to splitting buckers. I think I'll leave the guitar alone then.
        Dave...I find I can only tolerate a split tone in a strat,but only if the pickup is 10k or higher...A CC is the best pickup I've split and it has around a 7k split tone...After that the JB,C5,or a Scremon Demon work ok...Realize that you're not going to copy the "correct" tone of a strat single coil by splitting....it's a compromise,but the split tones you do get would be usable at least for some things...

I have a Hybrid in my strat that works pretty cool...I have a series/split/parallel mini switch hooked up...
        The hybrid is made by taking a PGB or 59B screw bobbin and mating it to a Custom's slug bobbin and using either an A2 magnet or A5 and suit to taste...

The Hybrid measures about 11.3k and split gives me the Custom slug coil's reading of 7k or there abouts...The split tones are pretty decent and it gives me strong series tone and a decent split tone..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Well I was kinda going for the all in one sound on my guitar. A double humbucker axe with some Tele tones. The middle position with single coils on the split function sounds okay. I guess I'll just HAVE to get the Tele I want after all.

Comment

Well I was kinda going for the all in one sound on my guitar. A double humbucker axe with some Tele tones. The middle position with single coils on the split function sounds okay. I guess I'll just HAVE to get the Tele I want after all.
            Dave....Try the 59 split..You might really like the end results? Don't just take our words for it buddy...

John

Comment

Well maybe I should. It's not so much the tone I am worried about its the low or too low output I think I am going to get. I understand this is normal but maybe I should just build the Tele I want. I am trying to get 2 guitars out of one. That has got to be unrealistic.

Comment

Well maybe I should. It's not so much the tone I am worried about its the low or too low output I think I am going to get. I understand this is normal but maybe I should just build the Tele I want. I am trying to get 2 guitars out of one. That has got to be unrealistic.
                Dave...From someone who knows...Experimenting and learning as you go is alot of fun..If you don't like the results,just go back to square 1...You have everything to gain really..We'll all help you as much as possible also..There is a wealth of knowledgable people ready and willing to help..

John

Comment

Thanks again man. I'll post those pics later and as time tells let you know what I decided to do.

Comment

Thanks again man. I'll post those pics later and as time tells let you know what I decided to do.
                    Sounds great...once again,Welcome!

John

Comment

Working...
                    X