banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

    Hey Doc..What size tone caps do you settle on in your strat with the PG+ bridge pickup? I want to put this pickup back into one of my strats and I remember having to use a .056 cap to tame the highs down...It cuts great but it's also a bright pickup!

    John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

    Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

    Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

  • #2
    Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

    I remember you did not like the highs on that one. I am using a bumblebee, i.e. 0.033uf on that guitar.

    Why not keep a regular value cap, but choose either of the following options:

    1. wire it so that with a miniswitch you can run the signal through a 120K (it was not 170K no, whatever, somewhere ~150K) resistance for your 500K pot.

    2. or use an a3 magnet! I guess that would be the ideal thing in your case.

    B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

      Originally posted by dr.barlo
      I remember you did not like the highs on that one. I am using a bumblebee, i.e. 0.033uf on that guitar.

      Why not keep a regular value cap, but choose either of the following options:

      1. wire it so that with a miniswitch you can run the signal through a 120K (it was not 170K no, whatever, somewhere ~150K) resistance for your 500K pot.

      2. or use an a3 magnet! I guess that would be the ideal thing in your case.

      B
      Thanks again Doc...I Like the A5 and would prefer to try your other options...

      John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

      Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

      Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

        Sure John!

        Tell me, is that PG+ gonna replace the hybrid?

        B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

          Originally posted by dr.barlo
          Sure John!

          Tell me, is that PG+ gonna replace the hybrid?

          B
          Yes or I'll put an A5 magnet into the Hybrid? I Love the Hybrid in my Les Paul but the strat isn't cutting right and my ears are always changing...I Just feel I ned to go back to an A5 humbucker in the bridge of this one strat.

          John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

          Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

          Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

            Sure, you know how much I love a5's in PAF style bridge hb's, as long as they don't get thin.

            B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

              Originally posted by dr.barlo
              Sure, you know how much I love a5's in PAF style bridge hb's, as long as they don't get thin.

              B
              I Hear ya buddy and I'm 100% with ya also...Thin is definately not in..

              John
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

              Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

              Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                Not to butt in guys, but I have a question since you're talking about the PG+. I read on here a while back that it is simply a PGb pickup with the A5 magnet instead of the A2. Is that the case?

                Farkus
                2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

                Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                  Yes.

                  It comes either on the bridge of some Fender models or in Fender Box if you buy it new. The only color is parchment (a little off-white).

                  B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                    Originally posted by dr.barlo
                    Yes.

                    It comes either on the bridge of some Fender models or in Fender Box if you buy it new. The only color is parchment (a little off-white).

                    B
                    Thanks Doc!

                    Looks like I'm gonna be buying a couple of A2 mags for this pup...heheh

                    Oh yeah, I'm thinking of using this in the neck with a JB in the bridge position. Some formites are using the 59b in the neck to their liking, so I thought I might try this instead. What do you think?

                    Farkus
                    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

                    Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                      Farkus,

                      You are welcome, glad I could help.

                      I am using a PGb in the neck in two of my guitars. I love a little hot neck PAF HB's somewhere like 8.0K. The tone is not that clear, but then again I am a big strat neck tone fan, and if I were to look for a clear neck tone, I would grab my strats!

                      Either I am very unlucky (with epsilon probability) or the average K value of PGb's is not 8.50K. I bought sold traded lots of PGb's here, over a dozen. Kept the best 6 of them (which includes one with the highest K value PGb I have ever owned measuring 8.35K.) The other one I would never give up is a 8.00K pgb which I use in the neck together with that 8.35K bridge!

                      Another PGb I use in the neck (togther with my 14.40K CC) measures 8.15K. I have a3 magnets in both of these pickups, I guess that is due to the body wood of that guitar (mahogany).

                      So using PGb's in the neck, I think is a great option that many do not consider. If you want, duncan does not do a ~8.00K a2 PAF neck standard production. I don't know why. It is either a cool seth/pg/ant/a2p/... bridge, or a custom shop order!

                      B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                        Doc,

                        Thanks for the info. Yeah, the PGn idea sounds pretty cool! I'm a HUGE strat fan...I've been modding them pretty much since I got my first one. It is so cool to be able to 'talk' with someone as passionate as I am about great tone; most of my guitar playing friends think that good tone involves buying a Matchless and it will do every great guitar tone on Earth, hehehe. I think I've found my bridge humbucker in the form of the Full Shred. Man, it is so tight, even under the heavy distortion. Now, I use a PGn with this pup b/c I like to back off and have sweet neck tone for the more...dynamic...parts of the music I play (progressive metal). However, I've come into a fresh Fender HM strat, all ready for me to mod! The 5 way switch is blown, and I'm going into full mod mode, all new CTS pots, orange drops, etc. It's a S-S-H and I'm thinking of moving my FS to the bridge of that axe and maybe using a lil 59 or HR in the neck it. That leaves my beloved ash strat without a bridge pup and I'd like to do something a little different with it. I've heard alot about the C-5. I'm thinking about getting one...but will it be able to do prog metal as well as bluesy-rock stuff? You seem to have alot of experience and I'd like your opinion on this one.

                        Thanks!

                        Farkus
                        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

                        Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                          Farkus,

                          Here over time you would find many (and more) passionate people about their tone. I have tried some of the stuff available, and am talking about my humble opinion regarding those. And the other thing is that the guitars that I have used them in are different than yours. The most critical thing in a pickup search is to match the guitar with a specific pickup.

                          That said, your ash strat can accomodate C5 very well. The result would be alittle on the wild side, I would think. At least these were my findings. Alnico 5 magnet makes C's sound scooped, bass and high become pronounced and defined, and you would not have that much mids. I would say that it is not what I would try, because ash already has great definition and highs.

                          I love a5 PAFs but they always are running close to the ridge of being thin. Some were thus I had to let them go. But others that I have kept were of PAF with an a5 magnet. Particularly, my 8.75K PG+, 8.70K Antiquity Bridge with an a5, 8.40K Timbucker (2 of them), are not thin. So you might wanna try an antiquity with an a5 magnet. It is a winner, and one of the pickups that kept mentioned in any though comparison with the real deal PAFs. Think of Clapton's Beano tones, think of Pagey's tones.

                          But when it comes to SD custom's in bright guitars (especially those with a tremolo bridge) me thinks the result is unbearably thin, and too scooped. The bass becomes in your face, the highs relatively too focused, the uppermid scream sometimes gets annoying (well that particular issue was the reason why I let my Rio Grande BBQ go), virtually no lowermids! I love lowermids in a "gain" pickup. gotta have them, either from the wood or the pickup.

                          Now if you were to look for a C pikcup in an all korina or mahogany body guitar, I would right away say go ahead and try the C5. Yet in a bright guitar (I love bright wood, ash hardash walnut, maple) especially in one with great definition such as ash, the first pickup I would try would be a Custom Custom! GReat pickup, but it does not pretend to be a beefied (a5) PAF which c5 does (and I don't think it does a very good job to that regard. I know many forumites here do not agree with me on this). It is a throaty, solid and THICK tone. It is not that defined, so there it is different from c5 as well.

                          I was looking for a HB between c5 and c2 (=CC). Both had great aspects, but I wanted to form a convex combination of them. Well Alnico 3 magnet does that! SO what I mean to say is:

                          1. Try a CC
                          2. If you don't like it I would suggest you buy some magnets, an a5 and an a3, then (it is not difficult, shoot me a pm if necc I can walk you through it) do the mag swap. You would be getting closer to what you exactly want.

                          Custom series are great pickups, very responsive to mag mods!

                          B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                            Originally posted by dr.barlo
                            Farkus,

                            Here over time you would find many (and more) passionate people about their tone. I have tried some of the stuff available, and am talking about my humble opinion regarding those. And the other thing is that the guitars that I have used them in are different than yours. The most critical thing in a pickup search is to match the guitar with a specific pickup.

                            That said, your ash strat can accomodate C5 very well. The result would be alittle on the wild side, I would think. At least these were my findings. Alnico 5 magnet makes C's sound scooped, bass and high become pronounced and defined, and you would not have that much mids. I would say that it is not what I would try, because ash already has great definition and highs.

                            I love a5 PAFs but they always are running close to the ridge of being thin. Some were thus I had to let them go. But others that I have kept were of PAF with an a5 magnet. Particularly, my 8.75K PG+, 8.70K Antiquity Bridge with an a5, 8.40K Timbucker (2 of them), are not thin. So you might wanna try an antiquity with an a5 magnet. It is a winner, and one of the pickups that kept mentioned in any though comparison with the real deal PAFs. Think of Clapton's Beano tones, think of Pagey's tones.

                            But when it comes to SD custom's in bright guitars (especially those with a tremolo bridge) me thinks the result is unbearably thin, and too scooped. The bass becomes in your face, the highs relatively too focused, the uppermid scream sometimes gets annoying (well that particular issue was the reason why I let my Rio Grande BBQ go), virtually no lowermids! I love lowermids in a "gain" pickup. gotta have them, either from the wood or the pickup.

                            Now if you were to look for a C pikcup in an all korina or mahogany body guitar, I would right away say go ahead and try the C5. Yet in a bright guitar (I love bright wood, ash hardash walnut, maple) especially in one with great definition such as ash, the first pickup I would try would be a Custom Custom! GReat pickup, but it does not pretend to be a beefied (a5) PAF which c5 does (and I don't think it does a very good job to that regard. I know many forumites here do not agree with me on this). It is a throaty, solid and THICK tone. It is not that defined, so there it is different from c5 as well.

                            I was looking for a HB between c5 and c2 (=CC). Both had great aspects, but I wanted to form a convex combination of them. Well Alnico 3 magnet does that! SO what I mean to say is:

                            1. Try a CC
                            2. If you don't like it I would suggest you buy some magnets, an a5 and an a3, then (it is not difficult, shoot me a pm if necc I can walk you through it) do the mag swap. You would be getting closer to what you exactly want.

                            Custom series are great pickups, very responsive to mag mods!

                            B
                            Never expecting anything less from you Doc,great post buddy....Anyway...This tutorial might help the guy in need of the magnet swap info as it shows and explains how I do it...For me,a picture really tells the story.."Every Picture Tells A Story,Don't It"

                            http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm

                            John
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

                            Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

                            Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Doc Barlo..PG+ Pickup Question? Stratocaster

                              Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                              Never expecting anything less from you Doc,great post buddy....Anyway...This tutorial might help the guy in need of the magnet swap info as it shows and explains how I do it...For me,a picture really tells the story.."Every Picture Tells A Story,Don't It"

                              http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm

                              John
                              Guys! Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it. Guess I'm going to go pickup/magnet shopping!!

                              Farkus
                              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

                              Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X