Detuning: What pickup sounds good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detuning: What pickup sounds good?

Ok. I have asked you guys a million times about what pickup is best for thrash/heavy/death metal and you guys are probably sick of me by now...but I completely forgot to ask about the thing I'd be using all the time. DETUNING!!!

I've narrowed it down to the DiMarzio Super 3 and the Duncan Distortion. Would both of these sound good detuned? And, I'm not saying like a half step setup, I mean like C# and even B. I have a Duncan Performer Detonator which I hate cuz it has too much bass and when I detune it cant keep up. I want it to sound just as full and clear as it would if I were tuned to an E.

(obviously it's not going to sound just as good when I'm detuned, I know this)

I just dont want it to lose the umph and power like my detonator does.

Thanks.

You guys are my #1 stop for guitar knowledge, info and opinions.
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Re: Detuning: What pickup sounds good?

I don't know if your still up for options but the JB sounds extremely good drop tuned. I have one on in my dropped C guitar. Sounds amazing
    boreddddddddddd

Comment

I find lower output pickups retain better clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
        I find lower output pickups retain better clarity.

Ditto. Also, what string guage are you using when going to B? It seems to me you'd need at least a 60 as your 6th string.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I use a JB on my Drop C Strat and it sounds great. I've put it down to drop B once or twice, and it sounded good there too. I sometimes roll the volume down to 8-9 for more clarity.

I've also detuned with my EMG 85/81 and it sounded good too.

Originally posted by Benjy_26
          Ditto. Also, what string guage are you using when going to B? It seems to me you'd need at least a 60 as your 6th string.
          Good point. I use 13-70 for drop C (I don't like loose strings), but the 6th string will easily do A, and probably G.

Although, I've heard Daron Malikian (SOAD) uses .9's and Pearly Gates on his drop C Les Paul.
          Last edited by some_dude; 08-23-2004, 02:59 PM.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

God talk about rubber bands! I can't even stand 9s on a strat in standard
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I agree that lower output pups have a better clarity in dropped situations, but it also depends on what is lacking in the current pups you have installed. Sometimes you need a smoother sounding pup to tame the harshness. or a more aggressive sounding pup to add agression to an already smooth sounding spot.
              PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
              1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
              Blackstar HT-5
              2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
              Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

****ing ****ing hails man!
                i use a cc in the bridge in a guitar tuned in D.
                i have another guitar tuned in B, and another one in C.
                i have tested the Jb and it lacks BASS.
                i have tested the bill lawrence l 500 xl in the bridge of my STRAT.. and it ****ing rules
                i play black/death/thrash and some fusion deathmetal stuffs.
                i recomend to you the following pickups for low tuning
                Dimarzios bridge :
                Paf pro, Drop sonic, Super Distortion ,FRED, X2N and maybe an Evolution... but i found that the EVO. for speed picking riffs like black/death metal bands uses like : morbid angel-dominate song, or marduk-of hellīs fire song.... it lacks some kind of clarity... but the rest it has tons of clarity and well defined riffs with FULL DIstortion.

Seymour Duncans : I found the d. distortion too much output... aahahah my crate gx80 couldnīt support itīs high output... ahahahah it distorted the whole amp. ahahaha. but it is a ****ing good and powerfull pickup. it is a little bit harsh in the guitar i tested : cedar body, with maple neck and rosewood 27 frets fingerboard.

...S. Duncans : Dimebucker, Seth lover, custom custom, distortion, Custom.
                here my advices

and now my favorite pickup
                bill lawrence l 500 xl.

****ing hails
                J.P
                Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Working...
                X