Custom Custom or Duncan Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom or Duncan Custom?

For an alder body strat with APS-1 single coils middle and neck which one of these bridge pickups sounds better or which pickup is good in this configuration for giving high output clarity and sounding great all around?
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Re: Custom Custom or Duncan Custom?

Oh wait, theres also the SH-14 C5, thay say its like a mix between the custom custom and the duncan custom, would this be a good pup on that guitar, by the way, i play lots of blues, rock, punk so i need it to be versatile.
    But i think the C5 has less output then any of those 2 so, no dice.
    Last edited by Armotron; 08-23-2004, 08:29 PM.
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Comment

I really think in your situation the C-5 is what your really
      looking for.

on a scale from 1-10

custom (ceramic)
      low 8
      mid 6
      high 9
      output 9

custom 5 (A5)
      low 6
      mid 4
      high 8
      output 7-8

custom custom (A2)
      low 5
      mid 9
      high 5
      output 8

you can also change the magnets in any of the custom series
      pickups to change the sound ....ex..buy a custom custom which
      has and Alnco 2 magnet and change the magnet to a ceramic
      and wala a duncan custom.
      my .02 cents
      stewie
      Last edited by SOLO GUITAR STEWIE; 08-23-2004, 09:04 PM. Reason: chart messing up
      "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

I've never tried the Custom, but I've tried the Custom Custom and the Custom 5. Personally, I like the Custom Custom better because of the presence it has and the cool mid-growl tonal characteristics. The Custom 5 is still a good pickup, but to me it seemed to get lost in the mix without something else behind it. (A Custom 5/'59 combo is OUTSTANDING, in my opinion)
        -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
        I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I think if you want aggressiveness and bite, get the Custom... if you want softer smoother tone get the CC
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

so custom on bridge, and 2 aps-1 single coils neck and middle, on alder, sound good?
            There is no spoone
            - The Matricks

Comment

I think the CC is one of the best bridge pups for a strat.....period. It has the mids and the softer high end that a strat really needs to get beefed up and not be too harsh. I feel that at times the Custom can get icepicky on the highs, expecially in a bright guitar like a strat, but that's all subject to personal taste of course. I'd go C5 in a strat before I went Custom.

The APS's will be great in that strat, and give you nice blues and rock tones. Any of the customs will also split well for your number 4 position, as they all run 14K on the output.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

How would you describe a custom with a alnico 3 or alnico 4? I like the rating system you have and was wondering what these other 2 combinations would rate as far as lows mids highs. I currently use the c5 and like it but think it lacks mids and the highs are a little thin but I like the lows alot and the output is perfect.
                My bands links:

PEDL
                www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I haven't tried the A3, A4 customs yet, but it's in the works. From what I've read from others here, the A3 custom is the nicest balance between the Custom Custom and the C5. Reports I remember reading say that the A4 doesn't compliment the wind as much. Some of the bass is lost, but you still have the highs. Again, just spewing what I've read and remember. THe A3 tends to add some mids back into the mix, while still retaining tighter lowes and punchier highs, but not piercing.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

ok so, cc bridge, and the aps in the neck and middle. which aps's, staggered or flat, or does it really matter or does it for proper balance with the bucker and the guitar?
                    There is no spoone
                    - The Matricks

Comment

I like the flat pole pieces for modern radius necks (9.5 and higher). In all reality there won't be a ton of difference, although the staggerd pups most say tend to give a slightly brighter tone, while the flat tend to be smoother.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

so with a fender american deluxe hss lt, go with flat?
                        There is no spoone
                        - The Matricks

Comment

That guitar is a modern radius strat (9.5 degree's), so if it were me I'd go flat. Either way it will sound great.
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

Youve been very helpful Jeff i appreciate it, and i hope the guitar sounds as great as i hope
                            There is no spoone
                            - The Matricks

Comment

Maple neck strat or Ash strat, get a CC

Rosewood/Alder, get a C-5.

VH type guitar w/Floyd? Custom, CC, C-5, or JB....your call.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X