JB vs Screamin Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs Screamin Demon

Ok guys, I can't make the bloody desicion myself so you help me!

Its gonna go in a hardtail Mahog/Maple strat, with a maple neck/rosewood board.

It has to sound full ish, but i hate too much bass.

It also has to cut nicely for solo's and remain relatively balanced sounding.

I play a ton of different styles so it'd have to cope under high gain well, but keep clarity, and also have a "useable" clean tone.

I'm not having a poll because i want people to state their experiences with the pups
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: JB vs Screamin Demon

JB.. partly cos i havent got experience with the demon, partly... well, you can hear it yourself

i'm so-so on the clean sound. i like the clean i get from the JB and '59 paired better than each alone

Comment

-It has to sound full ish: Demon win
      -It also has to cut nicely for solo's and remain relatively balanced sounding: Draw, except the Demon has a little more bass
      -it'd have to cope under high gain well, but keep clarity: Draw
      -also have a "useable" clean tone: I believe the Demon has a much better clean tone

I have both pick ups, but don't feel comfortable comparing them for you. You see, my JB is in a very dark axe, and my Demon is in the neck. Though if you don't mind me suggesting so, I believe the pick up you're looking for is the Custom. Sounds very full in almost every guitar, is much more balanced sounding than these two pups, stays amazingly clear under high gain, although it doesn't have as good a clean tone as the JB or Demon
      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I have a custom in an RG, it sounds a little on the sterile side to me.

It has about as much bass as i would stretch to, any more and i wouldnt use it. Its balanced yeah but its missing something and i dont know what

maybe its because of the axe its in? (backrouted floyd etc making it sound skinnier than it should?)
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

They're both great pickups!
          *coughScreaminDemoncough*
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

you're probably hearing the mid scoop on the custom.

Comment

Demon, I have both and the Demon is the one you want on current evidence.

Comment

Since you're going with maple on mahogany, I'd go with C-5/Cool Rail/59N.
                That 'thing' that seems to be missing in the Custom is the musical A-5 or A-2 magnet.
                The JB would be my second choice, if I thought the C-5 didn't have enough mids in that guitar. Since it's gonna be a mahogany strat, it'll have more mids than alder, so you can have a nice balanced tone with a C-5.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The bass on a C 5, is it more than a custom or less?

I found the custom had just the right amount for a bassy sound, but i dont think i'd want too much more.
                  My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Well I think the Demon is a bit more rounded in it's tone, where the JB has a very focused twang inherit in the upper-mid spike. Both sound great clean for different reasons. Demon is lower-output, JB is upper-mid spiked.

If you were to ask me, I get the Demon, or the JB and replace the magnet with a ceramic to add mids and output. (no it is not a Distortion)
                    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                    Originally posted by Sosomething
                    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I haven't liked any ceramic pup i've played really though, i wanna stick alnico
                      My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
                      X